1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cheap screen Vs. custom made OPINIONS PLEASE

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by The_Munter, Feb 23, 2005.

1. The_Munter

The_Munter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I ordered a new panasonic pt-au700e and pull up projector screen from two differant companies last week. I paid a premium for them both to be delivered on a Saturday...

The Projector arrived OK. The pull up projector I orderd from The Widescreen Centre, Nottingham for a Saturday delivery was "LOST" by the couriers.

SO...

I went down to Homebase (DIY centre) I bought an 8 foot piece of hardboard that was painted white matt on one side as a stop-gap whilst I was waiting for the proper pull-up screen to arrive.

With the lights off at night the picture was impressive. The distracting thing was the mass of white space around the image bouncing ambient light into the room.

ANYWAYZ...

A pull up screen arrived last night and we watched a few different sequences and we were well impressed! So, bright, saturdated, the balcks are so rich, Looks just like the cinema we thought...

So, as you do being a A/V geek, decided to check the white painted hardboard against it to see how different it was a ripped a section off the board and held it against the screen to see the difference in levels.

THERE WASN'T ANY DIFFERENCE! _ IT'S ALL A TRICK. 500 quid for a case that you pull a bit of material out of! So that's going back.

Anyway. I have a 6" pull up Draper screen arriving tonight. Hoping it's gonna be better than a bit of hardboard painted white...

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I nearly went for hardboard for my screen, decided on 6mm MDF in the end. I don't doubt there are improvements to be had with dedicated screen material or screen goo etc.. whether it's an improvement worth paying hundreds for is difficult to predict.

In your test, I presume the hardboard coating is shiney, hence I'd expect some issues eg seeing the glow of the lamp. Painted matt white it would be interesting to see the result.

Of course, for many, there are practicality reasons as to why people go for pull up/down screens. Some of the (very expensive looking) screens in work do have slight ripples, something you don't get with MDF/hardboard...PJ

3. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The ideal I suppose is to have a dedicated HC room in which a fixed screen is not an issue and you'll never have to worry about creases or ripples and the like. Unfortunately for those of us who have our HC setup in the main sitting room a fixed screen is not necessarily viable. One solution is a tab tensioned screen and this will (so the theory goes..) eliminate rippling, though they are very costly. I ended up opting for one as I got a discount but had funds been tighter it is undoubtedly the first area where I would have cut costs.

4. The_Munter

The_Munter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :lesson: OK, The Draper "Road Warrior" arrived tonight and I am happy to say it "feels" like a better image. but as my suspision told me. it AINT ANY DIFFERENT TO HARDBOARD PAINTED MATT WHITE. The good thing is it has a really well made case with it - it's quiet lite, about 9kgs. no noticable ripples in the material.

So my advice on projector screens after testing two pull ups (Draper Road Warrior and Homescreen from The Widescreen centre both with identical results) is unless you really need a mobile screen or wanna spend 1k - just paint a bit of hardboard matt white. You may get a tiny, miniscule bit of projector light bounce but it'll save you 450 quids.