1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap Screen in my garage

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by martinpeter, May 24, 2005.

1. martinpeter

martinpeter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have jsut bought a cheap (POLAROID POLAVIEW 238) old projector to watch MTV whilst on the running machine and play games on. The whole thing is in my garage and I'm putting it together on a shoe string. However I now need a screen, and I presume hanging an old sheet isn't going to be too great. I thought about using some white coloured blackout material for the screen, as it is infront of a potentially open door, but don't know if that might be any good.

Any good (cheap) DIY suggestions?

PS. Bought a proper beer cooler/tap system too... gonna be great...

2. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Just built my blackout material screen - and its great stuff to use however you'll probably need a lick of white paint to get the white you want. There is discussion on what paints to use on the forums but don't know specific threads. I've just gone for what I had in the garage: crown brilliant white emmulsion applied with a paint pad sponge thingy gives a really smooth finish but you may need to water the paint down a little so the pad doesn't drag and make it difficult. At least 2 coats are needed I would say.

Check this site which shows a larger but similar screen to mine - frame and canvas idea. Also check his link to canvas stretching - it really does work a treat:

http://www.projectorspecifications.com/diy_screen.php

3. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,588
    I use a 6ft blackout blind that I bought from B&Q a few years back. It cost me £60 - not sure if that fits in your budget, but it works a treat for me in the environment I have.

4. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Yes it works well - but check ebay these days as you'll proabbly make a nice saving. I purchased a 24mertre roll of offcuts for around £25 once postage and packing accounted for. This was a one off buy but there are plenty of blackout curtain retail style packs on there.

5. Tyjay

Tyjay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,845
    Hate to be the be the one to say this mate,but ikea do ws blackouts for £20.00 ouch :oops:

6. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,588
    Ah well, its been worth the £60 for the enjoyment I got out of it over the last two years! Least I now know where to get a replacement!!

7. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thats the way I look at it Donnacha :smashin:

8. asifhussain77

asifhussain77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i got my blackout from dulm mill 144cm high * 200cm wide for £5 (£2.50/meter off the roll) in july 2004