Cheap Samsung Blu ray

Still way overpriced by £569 too much doe for a supermarket player perhaps if RS cant shift them maybe we will see them in asda or tesco @ £30 ;) ..!

If you have to buy into BLU-RAY and allready own HD or do not own either @ present & just want to at least have a blast of BD i would think the ps3 is the best bet because at least if you dont like it you can get your money back because of it being a sort after games console thats what i am opting for mine should be here 2moro..!
where as something like the sammy would be near on impossible to sell i have seen the same ones advertised over and over again on ebay,one in paticuler 2 weeks ago was buy it now from a guy who had used it for 10 days he wanted £600 @ the time and the starting bid was £100,not a single bid,7 dyas past item ended no sale , then he has re advertised it @£400 BIN starting bid £100 and still never sold it,not seen it on there since :rolleyes: ....

Still £150 too much in my opinion especially concidering the ps3 will be £420

Saw one the other day in RS hooked up to a Samsung 1080p display via HDMI, playing swat, dunno if it is the disc the player or the tv but damn it was soft and kinda matt look.

Saw one the other day in RS hooked up to a Samsung 1080p display via HDMI, playing swat, dunno if it is the disc the player or the tv but damn it was soft and kinda matt look.

Saw a similar display in Cosco a few weeks back, again with a samsung LCD, not sure how it was connected, and probably wasn't well set up, but it looked awfull, (compared with my cheap Xbox addon :devil: ) no wonder they still seem to have most of the same pallet of players sat there....

lack of buyer confidence will lop another 300 off that before spring is out.

lack of buyer confidence will lop another 300 off that before spring is out.

I'm not even sure i'd pay £250 for it. Needing 2 HD players just isn't practical. As most TVs today have 2 HDMI sockets, so your going to need at least 3 x HDMIs, arrg switchboxes. Then there's the need for audio inputs into your amp. I have nightmares with my wires at the moment, before i even think about more players etc! Is HD really worth the hassle....

The sooner one format implodes up their own bum, or dual players appear the better :)

Too bad they all play SWAT and not a better looking movie. SWAT is one of the first batch of movies and is one of the worst, same goes for Ultraviolet.
Though, with some proper tweaking they can look better, but still not good enough.

Thought exactly the same thing with "Swat" at our local R.sounds.......very un-impressive picture, first look at a movie through BR and..........not impressed

SWAT is a 'Tier 2' movie and rated as very good in the BD picture system. It is far from being a bad example of a BD movie.

I went into Curry's about two weeks ago. They had the Samsung connected to a LCD panel which was switched off, so I took the liberty to switch it on and play what ever they had in the player just to see if the had a demo disc. Sadly they had SWAT inside so I took a few moments to see just what a potential customer would see. Now I don't own SWAT on BR but what I saw ws not good and did not reflect what I see on my Samsung. There seemed to be artifacts everywhere! I was shocked. If this is what people see then no wonder they have a hard time parting with their money. I own 13 BD's and none of them look that bad on my display even with the size of the LCD being half the size of my PJ image.

Wether the LCD had digital processing switched on I don't know but it didn't look right.

SWAT is a 'Tier 2' movie and rated as very good in the BD picture system. It is far from being a bad example of a BD movie.

LOL :rotfl: You're kidding right? Weird rating that is then ;)
Have you actually seen SWAT on BD?

ive seen swat in comet, and it was grainy, but the scenes where graphics were on screen where excellent, so im not convinced that bluray is the bit that sucks in the bluray/swat/samsungscreen/comet setup equation, the clock making demo i saw was excellent, even allowing for the fact that the screen is 1ft away when you see it in these stores...

It's widely regarded the Samsung produces just as good a picture as other Blu-Ray players with the latest firmware. It's only let down with some audio features, which won't affect 90%+ of customers.

Personally, the slow load up time on the Toshiba HD-DVD players is far more of an issue than the lack of True HD on the Samsung

You can also buy the player for a little over £300 on ebay.com.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/ar...60&article_id=1927&page_number=3&print_page=y

'PERFORMACE The picture quality of Blu-ray Discs viewed on the upgraded BD-P1000 was right up there with the Sony and Panasonic players. Mission: Impossible III, for example, looked wonderfully solid and clean, and every last drop of detail appeared to come through. The picture on this disc and others such as The Great Raid also displayed punchy contrast and a vivid sense of depth — qualities that seemed to be absent on the initial player, which put out a somewhat flat-looking picture. Video upconversion was also very good, with regular DVDs coming through cleanly and with reasonable sharpness.

The player's audio performance was also equivalent to that of the other players when listening to uncompressed 5.1-channel PCM tracks on Blu-ray movies. But it lacks support for either Super Audio CD or DVD-Audio disc playback. And Samsung's current firmware upgrade doesn't equip the player with built-in Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio decoding — features we can look forward to seeing eventually on the Panasonic DMP-BD10.

BOTTOM LINE The firmware upgrade for the Samsung BD-P1000 puts it on much firmer footing. Anyone buying it now can expect to experience full picture resolution from Blu-ray movies, along with all the visual punch that the best discs in the format now provide'

So what is the verdict then? it is the movie SWAT that is flat and soft and not the player or the screen?

It's widely regarded the Samsung produces just as good a picture as other Blu-Ray players with the latest firmware. It's only let down with some audio features, which won't affect 90%+ of customers.

Personally, the slow load up time on the Toshiba HD-DVD players is far more of an issue than the lack of True HD on the Samsung

You can also buy the player for a little over £300 on ebay.com.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/ar...60&article_id=1927&page_number=3&print_page=y

'PERFORMACE The picture quality of Blu-ray Discs viewed on the upgraded BD-P1000 was right up there with the Sony and Panasonic players. Mission: Impossible III, for example, looked wonderfully solid and clean, and every last drop of detail appeared to come through. The picture on this disc and others such as The Great Raid also displayed punchy contrast and a vivid sense of depth — qualities that seemed to be absent on the initial player, which put out a somewhat flat-looking picture. Video upconversion was also very good, with regular DVDs coming through cleanly and with reasonable sharpness.

The player's audio performance was also equivalent to that of the other players when listening to uncompressed 5.1-channel PCM tracks on Blu-ray movies. But it lacks support for either Super Audio CD or DVD-Audio disc playback. And Samsung's current firmware upgrade doesn't equip the player with built-in Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio decoding — features we can look forward to seeing eventually on the Panasonic DMP-BD10.

BOTTOM LINE The firmware upgrade for the Samsung BD-P1000 puts it on much firmer footing. Anyone buying it now can expect to experience full picture resolution from Blu-ray movies, along with all the visual punch that the best discs in the format now provide'

Will it support BD Live ?

AVI

LOL :rotfl: You're kidding right? Weird rating that is then ;)
Have you actually seen SWAT on BD?

Yes I have seen it. It is the rating agreed with all the contributios to the Tier thread at AVS, which I think fair to say most people buy into re quality of discs and how they compared with each other.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=150

HighdefDigest called it: The transfer is indeed mighty fine, sure, and the soundtrack even better but didn't like the lack of extras. Re the video quality they said: This is actually a very nice-looking disc from Sony, and definitely one of the better they've put out on the format thus far.

This discs ain't perfect but it is not one of the BD duffers by any means. If it looks crap when people see it then I would look elsewhere and not blame BD for the issue (this time) ;)

Will it support BD Live ?

AVI

Are there any BD Live discs?

For just over £300 it will do for the next 12 months, by which time cheaper and better featured BR and HD-DVD players will be out.

As I say, for everyday use, the load times on the first gen Toshibas are more of an issue than the lack of BD Live/True HD at this early stage.

I think we need BD Live players first to work that one out :) Personally audio codec support is much more important to me. Having lived with the 'sloooow' Toshibas it is just a non issue for everyday use. They still play the discs fine, including all the PiP 'type' stuff. Not being able to get DTS MA does bug me however...come HD DVD / BD, when?

Are there any BD Live discs?

For just over £300 it will do for the next 12 months, by which time cheaper and better featured BR and HD-DVD players will be out.

As I say, for everyday use, the load times on the first gen Toshibas are more of an issue than the lack of BD Live/True HD at this early stage.

Load time ain't a problem to me but if you think the Samsung is the one of you go for it. ;) Just how long does it take the Samsung to load a BD disc ?

Edit Just found the load time ref for the Samsung 30-40 seconds v 60-75 seconds for the G1 Tosh.

AVI

The start up time wasn't the major issue, although it wasn't acceptable IMO, I found the slow response to chapter selection/extras etc. a pain.

The start up time wasn't the major issue, although it wasn't acceptable IMO, I found the slow response to chapter selection/extras etc. a pain.

I don't find access to extras or chapter selection slow. Hit the button and the menu is there. I don't know how it could be any quicker??

AVI

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom