Cheap Runaround for the Wife

RicksonGracie1972

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Costing no more than £2000.
Preferably less than a 1.6, around Fiesta size. Air Con would be nice.
I've seen a couple of Peugeot 206's and Renault Clio's for around that price will low mileage (less than 50k). does anyone have any experience of those cars?

Any other suggestions?

thanks

What age are you looking at?
Have you considered a Skoda Fabia/Seat Ibiza both great cars for their size. Or maybe something like a Kia (may even have some warranty left on it).
Lots of good options in the small car arena but with a smallish budget I would not look for a specific make/model of car as such but go for the best car you can see in terms of condition/age/mileage for the money you have no matter on make.

What age are you looking at?
Have you considered a Skoda Fabia/Seat Ibiza both great cars for their size. Or maybe something like a Kia (may even have some warranty left on it).
Lots of good options in the small car arena but with a smallish budget I would not look for a specific make/model of car as such but go for the best car you can see in terms of condition/age/mileage for the money you have no matter on make.
I've filtered autotrader for sub £2000 cars within 20 miles and the most common cars are the 206 and Clio. Just wondered if they are any good

Clio > 206

How about a C2?

Clio > 206

How about a C2?
Not many C2's about in my area but i'll keep an eye out.

Why do you think Clio's are better than 206's? Just curious

Personal experience id have a C2, Clio then 206 in that order. Not a fan of peugeot.

Avoiding french then Yaris or Swift if you can find one in budget.

7-12 year old Honda Jazz - they were bought by elderly people who had them serviced religiously by the main dealer, did low miles, then (sadly) but good for you, died or have been put into a nursing home recently. Being sold by grieving / stressed family member who has just (or is soon to) inherit a valuable house, and wants to get rid of the car.

Last edited:
...and hit every curb with a clutch thats on its last legs.

If it were me I would be buying something Japanese, as I would prefer my Missus to be driving around in something reliable above all else.
Yaris, Swift or Micra, something like that.
My choice would be a Swift if you could find one in your price range.
A very underrated car.

Another vote for the Yaris. My brother in law works for the RAC and it's the car he recommended to a family member when they where looking for a cheap run around. My mum has one and it just keeps going regardless.

Another vote for the Yaris. My brother in law works for the RAC and it's the car he recommended to a family member when they where looking for a cheap run around. My mum has one and it just keeps going regardless.
I had a look at a couple of cars over the weekend, one of which was a Toyota Aygo. It's very small but I think it'll be enough for my wife to drive to and from the station everyday and its only £20 to Tax.
Any thoughts on the Aygo?
The other cars my wife likes are VW Polo and Corsa. I can get a 2008-2009 Corsa for just under £3k but that money will only buy me a 2005 Polo. Decisions decisions.

Aygo, C1 and 107 all the same car underneath, I actually prefer the looks of the C1.

Personally I would go with a Toyota Yaris or Honda jazz. Just because they have a good reputation for being reliable. Any car I was looking at for around that money I would make sure there was no expensive service item coming up soon such as a Cambelt change or major service that could easily be £500.

Personally I would go with a Toyota Yaris or Honda jazz. Just because they have a good reputation for being reliable. Any car I was looking at for around that money I would make sure there was no expensive service item coming up soon such as a Cambelt change or major service that could easily be £500.

No cambelt with Aygo or Yaris :D

I'd avoid the Corsa, a friend at work had one, it had problems and even the Vauxhall garage were struggling to correctly diagnose it, it also looks boring inside and out imo.

No cambelt with Aygo or Yaris :D

I'd avoid the Corsa, a friend at work had one, it had problems and even the Vauxhall garage were struggling to correctly diagnose it, it also looks boring inside and out imo.
I drive a Zafira so I'm familiar with the "boring" looks inside :)

Whatever car I get its one that I will drive from time to time, which is why I was thinking of a Corsa but I guess an Aygo would be as cheap as chips to run.
with regards to a Yaris, I'd only get a 2005 or 2006 for £3k with about 50k on the clock. Just seems a little on the old side

Just an update on this, I ended up buying a low mileage Polo with 24k on the clock for £3k.
Pick it up on Saturday :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom