1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap rptv's - any good?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by gargoyle, Dec 21, 2004.

1. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    For some time now, I've noticed that the price of 42in rptv's have come down drastically to the point where its not unusual to see them selling from £700 up in all the big electrical retailers - I hail from the early days of home cinema when the biggest sets were pioneers 40 & 50 inch models back in the early nineties and the cost was pretty astronomical, my question is, are these budget rptv models any good?
    I ask this because sonys budget 44in rptv looks damned nice and I'm currently debating whether to carry on using my beautiful, but bulky panasonic 36PF10 or upgrade to a new slimline rptv.

2. Mad Mikeyboy

Mad Mikeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I assume by slimline and by where you've posted this thread, your talking about DLP rptv's which are far superior to the old crt rptv's but are not in the "budget" region. The crt type are still pretty bulky in comparison and yes you will get a "good" one for £700. Whereas a lower end DLP will still set you back at least double that.

3. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504
    I normally find you get what you pay for. I have seen the toshiba sub £1000 tv sets and the picture is not the best. Grid structure can be evident, and convergence issues appear on some sets. I have a 5 year old 46' crt rear projection Philips TV and the picture is far superior to that of a modern sub £1000 rear projection set which a few of my friends have. My adice is to demo the set off a few DVD's your used to watching and judge for yourself.