1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap, reliable ADSL service - any ideas?

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Feersum enjinn, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Feersum enjinn

Feersum enjinn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mainly for playing online games and stuff. Just need a cheap reliable package - i have no idea what is available these days and what the costs are.

Rather than guess, i though one of you would know.

Once i get it im joining Shadowbane :)

2. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.adslguide.org.uk/

Very informative. For the record, I'm probably going for Pipex. I've heard their customer service is pretty bad (a mate just spent an hour on hold before speaking to an engineer), but the price is certainly right.

3. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    Pipex is definately quite cheap, my friends have it and they have no complaints.

I didn't think Shadowbane was out yet?

4. PJONG

PJONG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree, that adslguide site is very useful.

I also went for Pipex though if I were to go through the process again I may not choose Pipex. It took two weeks to sort out the problem at my exchange, the problem is you can't deal with BT directly, all correspondance goes through Pipex ie at least 15mins on hold everytime then factor in the time it takes for them to actually report the situation to BT, extremely frustrating not to mention the fact that they debit your account on the activation date regardless of whether the service is working or not.

I consider myself relatively technosavvy so now that all is well I doubt I'll need to contact them, but for any technophobes out there Pipex are expensive and time comsuming in terms of support. Okay it's cheap £23.44/mnth but going for better support for a wee bit more may be worthwhile.

By the way I bought an Alcatel Speedtouch USB modem from www.dslsource.co.uk, under £90 delivered, good modem (sold by BT/Freeserve/Pipex for about £130), good service from dslsource too.

5. Feersum enjinn

Feersum enjinn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey thanks for info!

Oh and thansk for the modem deal - i was looking into a good priced modem.

By the way - one last dumb question - when you buy a 'do it yourself' for ADSL - is it easy to fix yourslef? i assuem it would be, but is it?

6. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607
    i have to say i have had a btopenworld account at one property and a pipex account at another , pipex beat bt hands down for technical knowledge.

i would seriouly look at getting a router rather than a modem, this way you set it up once and forget, it will dial out if a connection is dropped and if you want to add a hub you can put as many pcs on it as you want.
    you connect via lan rather than dial up.

this way you can add xbox etc too, or a wireless set up.

e.g router( modem) - hub - wireless access point - pc1 wireless card - laptop wireless card - pc2 via ethernet

the router will automatically see the pc as it turns on.

if you need any info regarding hardware PM me mate.

G

7. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm interested in broadband as well.. Have been for ages but my location didn't support it >_< Now it does so its good to go.

I've had a look at Pipex and it seems a lot better than the BT deal... Plus £35 a month was a bit steep. At my place I plan to connect up to 4 devices to the net, 2 permanently and the other two would just log on at will. Basically my PC and a DL PC would be connected to the net at all times, and then another PC when its needed and my sister's laptop. I've bought the netgear stuff and know how to alter the wires to obtain a 100MB LAN, rather than a 10MB one.

All I need now is a good router as you've said and it shoud be plain sailing from then on.

8. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607
    im just on my way out right now

i will post a few links tomorrow night for you.

there are some you should avoid if your not up with nat , port forwarding, dhcp etc.
    there are a couple which will assign ip address' to each pc as it boots up so you really dont need to do anything accept enter your username/pass, and make sure all pcs are on the same domain eg. WORKGROUP or HOME or whatever you want.

as i said i will post some links to good routers/modems tomorrow.

9. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice one gizlaroc. I haven't looked into networking since my computer science days >_< I know of NAT anyway so its a start and have read a bit about port forwarding but I'll wait for your links before deciding on anything else. Laters.

10. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607
    have a look on here I have used the SAR703 and it really is easy to set up.

i am now using the ASUS AAM6000EV and to be honest isnt quite so easy to set up. and i dont really use the extra features either.

If i needeed to buy another router I would probably have a go with the new Netgear one, Dabs have it in stock here .

i have a netgear wireless access point and wireless network cards and they are all really simple to set up, nice easy to use interfaces.
    Plus the netgear router has a 4 port hub built in which is good if you want to add an xbox etc.

read the reviews of the routers at adslguide too.

11. filopastry25

filopastry25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sticking to my blueyonder 1MB cable broadband

12. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How much are you paying for that 1MB connection anyway Filo?

Gizlaroc, nice one mate. I like the look of the Netgear one ^_^ I'll check out the reviews on that website (god knows why I didn't in the first place >_<) and see what pops up. I was thinking about going down the wireless route for my sister's laptop but again I just need to dig a bit deeper for more information. I don't have plans to buy everything yet though, only to get a shopping list of hardware and once I have the cash I'll buy it all.

13. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607
    if you want to go down the wireless route just buy a wireless access point , i bought a netgear access point and pcmcia card in a bundle from dabs for about £150.

give your modem/ router an ip address say 192.168.8.1
    then give the access point an ip address say 192.168.8.2

you can leave nat on on the router and let it assign ip adress' to the network cards.
    if you are using win2k or XP just set wireless name in the device manager rather than installing the wireless cards own software.
    it really is that easy.

14. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    I pay 35 a month for my 1Mb :)

Hehehehe, couldn't live without it

15. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £35 a month was what BT were offering for 512k >_< Its still a lot of cash though once you add you're monthly sky bill, tax, etc etc. Not sure I can keep up with the bills just yet until I've paid off the TV, but I'll look into a decent router as gizlaroc has pointed out to be future proof.

16. DavidMalone

DavidMalone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am probably on the same service as Sinzar (Blueyonder).

1MB cable connection for £35 per month, or £25 for 512k. They are the best ISP I have ever used (Business and Personal), with very few hiccups.

Since you are going to be using your connection for gaming, I'd have to say, you MUST get BY/NTL. We had a LAN at a friends house, six of us sharing his connection through a router without lag on Quake 3 :)

Another friend of mine who uses BT Openworld get cruddy pings on most servers, with frequent probs.

All in all quality service at a great price, and i feckin' hate BT with a passion!!!

:)

17. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    im on the £35 blueyonder deal and its excellent, because they messed me about so much when i first got it all installed back in january they gave me about £200 worth of discounts!!.
    so over this 1st year im only paying about £20 month anyway!!

18. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This BY deal sounds very tempting indeed... I'll look into it more when the time comes along. Cheers ^_^

19. DavidMalone

DavidMalone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NeoBlade,

Don't know if blueyonder are still running their refferal scheme, should check it out though, you get half price installation, refferer gets a free month of sweet ass broadband <g>

20. CodeThief

CodeThief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Why not try Nildram ?? if you check out ADSLGUIDEs comparisons, they are top for speed, reliability and Customer service for the last 6 months. I joined them and couldnt be happier. The Customer Support people answer the phone in 10 seconds and know their stuff. The speeds are fine (after a little glitch to start with) and for £23 a month you can't say no!

Dave

PS, I ping between 15-25 for CS on the Jolt servers (Nildram host Jolt)