1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap rear surrounds advice please

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by yant, Feb 24, 2003.

1. yant

yant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hi,

I am looking for cheap rear speakers as a stop gap to complete my surround system.

My priority being stereo music, I've put the money at the front. I currently have an Arcam DV88 and AVR200 as source and amp. My front pair are Dynaudio 42 matched with a 42 centre. We are rather satisfied with what comes out of this. Ideally I should have bought another pair of 42s for the rear but budget doesn't quite stretch so instead I want to buy a cheap pair of mini monitor and eventually (1-3 years) either buy another pair of 42s or upgrade the front to 122 or 72 and move the 42s at the back.

They will be hung on the wall behind the seat which is less that 1 foot from the rear wall. (I have no left side wall). Does this influence the choice of normal vs dipole or bipole?

My dealer suggested a pair of BW600 but I find them a bit expensive (£200) and a bit on the large side too. I was looking for less than £100. Richer seems to have quite a few things in the 50-100 pounds range.

Anyone ever hear these Whaferdale loudpanels? My instincts tell me to run away but I think my wife would like the discretion. Alternatively, they have quite a few mini monitors in that price range but any advice would be welcome.

Thanks,

Yan

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I noticed a pair of Polk Audio R15's on the forums classified the other day, would think these would be a good stop gap. Only £60 delivered. ;)

3. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Hi Yant

I have the Loudpanels on the end of an Arcam AVR200 and they are ok - for films anyway, but are pretty crappy with PLII music. :( You also need a spot to hide the small sub which comes with the panels (mine goes under an occasiaonal table) and buy some new micro speaker cable. The leads in the box are too short and crappy.

Rather get some mini monitors like you suggest - maybe Mission M70's as a stopgap? Your 42's deserve something better than the Loudpanels.