1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap rear projection TV in Argos....any good?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by chanlon1, Jan 17, 2005.

1. chanlon1

chanlon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Damn that's cheap, was £800 not three months ago...

But I have seen one in action, played for a while and though it is basic it shouldn't pose any problems connection wise unless you're using component. 50Hz 4x3, three SCART's (not sure how many are RGB) plus a side AV connection (no component), and picture quality isn't going to set the world on fire, although admittedly that was the usual 'Dixon's Feed' syndrome and not a DVD. It's not the best example of RPTV I've ever seen but it isn't the worst either - Bush make one that's infinitely worse and now more expensive!

RPTV advantages - large picture for the money and potentially perfect geometry thanks to the convergence system are two.

RPTV disadvantages - Possible screen burn on consoles or static images if too high a contrast setting is used, viewing is sweet spot dependent - light ouptut falls off dramatically in the vertical plane when off axis and they can look ropey as hell if not set up properly or fed a poor signal.

If you can get and see one first in one of the major electrica outlets - the signal is usually crap but you will get something of an idea of whether you can live with one or not.

3. chanlon1

chanlon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers...maybe take a trip to Dixon's or Curry's etc and see if they have them

4. chanlon1

chanlon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone else any views on this set?

5. condyk

condyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I am pretty sure I have seen this model in one of the big retailers when I was looking. It was fine, but not outstanding. HOWEVER, worth remembering that RPTV's only rarely do look any good in a shop. They doon't make the effort and often feed with poor signals.

Laurelandhardy has summarised the PR situation well, pro's and con's.

I have a Tosh 42wt29 RP which is actually awesome. Rare a day goes by without me just thinking how good the image is. I think all Tosh RP TV's are very capable for what are becoming crazy cheap prices, but worth taking care to set them up correctly.

Had I spent £3000 on a plasma and got all round performance as good as my RPTV then I'd have been delighted ... and £2250 worse off ;-)

6. tom_painter85

tom_painter85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    so what would be the best way to set this up...RGB feed?

sorry for my ignorance but Laurel&Hardy, you seemed unsure about the RGB SCART support on the set.

cheers chaps

Tom