1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap PS2 games

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by alanrob, Jan 11, 2002.

1. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Come across another Auzie site that sell DVD's and Games.
    www.dvdcrave.com
    Many thanks to Davey_25_uk over at the Digital Spy forums...

I have placed an order for Twisted Metal Black on the PS2 today (11th Jan). I'll let you all know how long it takes for the delivery.

BTW , it cost $74.09Auz - which is around the £24 mark :)
    All Auz PS2 games are PAL :) and are marked as playable on European PS2 consoles :)

2. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Devil May Cry worked out same as Play before adding carriage.

3. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,115
    Noticed my local Asda had certain PS2 games at or around the £15 mark yesterday, can't recall which ones exactly, dont have a PS2 so didn't take too much notice..

Si

4. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    You have to take off 9% from the total - some Auzie tax thing that doesn't apply to us.

P+p is only $5.50Auz and and extra $5Auz if you want insurance.
    DMC appears to be one of the more expensive ones they have, but Jak & Dextar works out at around £26 which can't be bad.

5. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just picked DMC as this was an "in" title at the moment. GTAIII has been banned in oz so I couldn't check that :)

I already knocked off the 9% GST. I didn't check the carriage charge though.

My credit card has just been hit (well last week) with AUS $ 165.50. £63.23 has appeared on my credit card. This means each AUS $ was approx. 37p. This was for an order for 6 DVDs from EzyDVD. This didn't include the stiffing I got from Customs and Excise either. Another £11.91 to Her Majesty's Goverment. This still worked out cheaper than Play247.

Using $92.95 + $10.50 shipping and using above exchange rate you get £35.43. Play charge £29.99 (this was £32.99 but seems to have dropped back down again).

Don't forget most Credit Card companies will charge for non sterling transactions and include the charge in the exchange rate they use to convert to sterling. This is anything between 0.5% and 3% (ish) depending on the CC company on tope of the prevailing exchage rate (again this may not be the best rate).

Some discs may work out cheaper than Play247, especially back titles or games that aren't redhot at the moment like DMC or GTA3. Jak and Dextor was listed at AUS $ 69.95 which worked out at £27.63 using the above exchange rate.

I may order J&D for £27 it does indeed seem a bargain. although I've just ordered GTAIII from Play247, and won a bid on e-bay for a N64 game (as well as the 6 disks on my desk at the moment) - so the wife not take to another Credit Card Bashing exercise this month :-(

I think it boils down to whats on offer at the moment. The disks I ordered from EzyDVD were on special offer, and had they not been, they too would have been more expensive than Play247 and I wouldn't have ordered them.

I think in summary you have to look at particular titles you want and shop around, and not assume that if one title is cheap then other titles from the same supplier will also be the "cheapest".

My advice is caveat emptor - buyer beware.

Graham

6. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    But isn't it nice to finally have another PS2 supplier that's as cheap as Play? Offers us bargain hunters more choice don't you think :)

I'll let you know how long it takes to arrive and maybe I'll get J&D too....

7. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I agree. I like play but don't want to put all my eggs (or DVDs and ps2 games) in one shopping basket :)

I used to use amazon.com 'cos they worked out chepaer than play if I was ordering sizx or more disks.

Now I never want more than 1 disk at a time usually so use play.

I think £35+ for a game is excessive, but less than £30 not unreasonable although the cheaper the better.

With my Psone I had chipped games on the principle I thought Sony were ripping of the punters. Now the prices have dropped I don't mind buying the legal version. Indeed I have replaced some of the chipped versions with "platinum" editions, giving my support for the cheaper format.

GTAIII is the only full price game I've got for the PS-2. GT3 came with the machine, Extreme G I paid £15 2nd hand, and Ridge Racer V I paid 9.99 2nd hand (both from high street stores).

I still think the prices are excessive, but its a new format and demand is high.

Look at DVDs - the prices have now reached a more reasonable price similar to what VHS tapes used to be.

Watching some of the bids on ebay go past Play's price is fun to watch.

Especially when you email the highest bidder to tell them they could have got the same game, brand new, for cheaper :)

8. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,112
    When I bought my PS2 at electronic's boutique the assistant told me they were price matching someone else ( John Lewis I think) so I coudl get a PS2 and any 2 games for 250quid.

So I effectively got GTA3 and DMC for 25quid each !

( course still got slapped for 27quid for a memory card though : nice little tax from sony that one)