Question Cheap projectors with huge specs - confused..

Dextur

Distinguished Member
How do you compare some chinese WimIus thing with 7000 lumens, native 1920x1080, integrated bluetooth for £169 versus mainstream brands quoting half the spec for 3x as much at least.
I’m so out the game, I just don’t know what’s what. These cheap things have crazy good reviews are they any good?

i’m happy to spend £350 or so to get something new or second hand . Just not sure which direction to go in.

Open to schooling here.

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member
Anything with 7,000 Lumens and costing £169 wont be aimed at home cinema or quality. HD chip means nothing really. Alas £350 will be probably be too lower starting point for a home cinema projector even secondhand. I assume this is for home cinema ?

Damp Squid

If it's for casual viewing in a kitchen then give it a go. Buy it from Amazon and if it turns out to not to live up to your expectations you can return it for free.
Brightness is not the most important factor when choosing a projector, if you are concerned about picture quality, although in a kitchen scenario with lots of light it may fit the bill.

ask4me2

The best way to get some real knowledge about this is to do a Split-screen comparison
setup and see the quality of the projected pictures at the same time in real life.

Numbers like native pixel resolution and numbers like the 7000 Lumens in the cheap projectors often are more like theoretical number for the light source used inside the projector itself, and not the actual light output or optical resolution usable for the projected picture on the screen.

Here is one example of the internals of these cheap "china" projectors.

In home-cinema projectors we often pay a lot for setup flexibility, (zoom, lens shift, low fan noise, picture processing etc), but some of the hardest part to produce at a "low cost" is the physical optical parts, that needs to be produced with small deviations and tolerances to get the best picture quality out of the projector.
These define the resolution and contrast (MTF) properties for the optical parts used in the light engine and the projector lens and the light output of interest is what is useable after calibration to fill the screen, and the actual contrast and color accuracy possible in the pictures itself and how low the light output can be in the black level.

What we actually pay for in the different projectors will be very obvious when setting up and looking at the projected picture on the screen.

Here is a quite informative comparison between more expensive projectors...

Epson EH-TW9300, EH-TW7300, EH-LS10000: The Battle! - ProjectionDream.com

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom