Question Cheap projector to watch football on

Chris4891

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any real life experience with DBPower / Abis - I know they're not groundbreaking but just after something to plug the chromecast in to for BT Sport etc

Seen a few secondhand for as little as £20!

Last edited:
Try and get the best true resolution you can afford. Most of the cheap projectors will have a resolution of around 640x480 or 800x600 even though they will have "HD" or "1080p" in big letters which means the accept the hd signal and down convert it to the low resolution of the lcd panel, so for watching football or golf you will not really get good detail on the players or ball.
With the lcd panels inside them they usually have a poor refresh rate so you will see motion blur when a ball is kicked for example.

Saying all that, if you can get one for £20 and are not happy, if you have kids they will love watching cartoons on a big screen at the lower resolution.

I have a used benq mp620c available for £90 if interested. It was listed in classified section but I think I over priced it back then. Comes with bag, remote, manual, power cable and hdmi to dvi cable.

470 hours used out of 3000. Had it running for few hours without any issue but some times randomly it shows red light on the unit (not screen) and restarts only when I try to manually change the focus or move it around while running.

Try and get the best true resolution you can afford. Most of the cheap projectors will have a resolution of around 640x480 or 800x600 even though they will have "HD" or "1080p" in big letters which means the accept the hd signal and down convert it to the low resolution of the lcd panel, so for watching football or golf you will not really get good detail on the players or ball.
With the lcd panels inside them they usually have a poor refresh rate so you will see motion blur when a ball is kicked for example.

Saying all that, if you can get one for £20 and are not happy, if you have kids they will love watching cartoons on a big screen at the lower resolution.

Many thanks for the advice - unfortunately I was outbid - it went for £21 :D

I have a used benq mp620c available for £90 if interested. It was listed in classified section but I think I over priced it back then. Comes with bag, remote, manual, power cable and hdmi to dvi cable.

470 hours used out of 3000. Had it running for few hours without any issue but some times randomly it shows red light on the unit (not screen) and restarts only when I try to manually change the focus or move it around while running.

I think I'd be uneasy buying something thats "maybe slightly faulty"

I will certainly give it some consideration.

I do have a Sony VPL-EX4 in the loft but it needs a new lamp and isn't HDMI. As the lamps are c.£125 it thought I may as well upgrade to something with HDMI capability

Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom