1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap projector mount?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by key130, Jun 14, 2004.

1. key130

key130
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    just got a Optima H30 projector.

I'm planning on putting a shelf on the wall (near the ceiling) and having the H30 sitting on there.

I get palputations when I see the 'proper' projector mount prices (£100+) for a bit of metal!

Alternatively, I'm wondering if I can use a cheap wall speaker mount such as http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...0001&langId=-1&catalogId=1751&productId=95562 ?

They are £10 for the pair. Anyone tried being cheap like me :D ?

Thanks,

Al.

2. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Well I tried the cheap option but it didn,t really work out.

Attached Files:

3. LongBow

LongBow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. wither2000

wither2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

I've been a cheapskate - having decided my 100 pounds was better spent on DVDs than a 'professional mount' for the AE500.

I bought a packet of m4 bolts and 8 right-angle mild steel brackets (about 3 inches long on each side with 2 or 3 pre-drilled holes) from the local DIY shed.

First - Drill four holes in ceiling and insert raw-plugs. Screw on 4 brackets.

Second - bolt the other four brackets to the mounting holes on the bottom of the projector.

Finally bolt the fisrt set of brackets to the second set, plug in projector and set to ceiling mount (picture invert) in the menu and hey-presto projector on the ceiling for under a tenner.

My cinema room has a low ceiling and the top of the image starts about 6 inches from the ceiling. Projector has been up there for almost 6 months now. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Ian.

5. key130

key130
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, finally got the projector mounted today. Ended up buying the £10 Argos speaker mounts. Work great! The projector can be tilted up/down and side to side. I've used the keystone correction to get the picture right.

Only problem now is that the display picture is HUGE :zonked: due to the distance of the projecting wall

I''ve attached 3 pics. I haven't tidied up the cables. Plan to use some trunking for that.

Regards,

Al.

Attached Files:

6. bobbetts

bobbetts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Looks like it works well, just a couple of questions.

1) Have you placed a piece of wood behind the projector or something, or have you removed the screws?

2) Did you place anything at the front of the projector

3) How sturdy is the projector in the bracket, is there any wobble?

Cheers

7. key130

key130
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1) Have you placed a piece of wood behind the projector or something, or have you removed the screws?
    The bracket comes with the sticky pads, which help cushion them against the projector. I also cut a thin strip of cardboard and placed them in between the projector and bracket. Whilst providing a more sturdy fit, they also stop the supplied bracket screws damaging the body of the projector.

2) Did you place anything at the front of the projector
    Again, sticky foam pads and a strip of cardboard.

3) How sturdy is the projector in the bracket, is there any wobble?
    Very sturdy. Does not move up and down due to bolts. Can be swayed side-to-side manually however, I don't plan on touching the projector again. Even if you do accidentally move it, it's easy to sway back.

Regards,
    Al.

8. SCOTT_SCOTLAND

SCOTT_SCOTLAND

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am half way through a loft conversion and i'm at the stage now when i start thinking how to mount pj (PLVZ1).

I myself have the same bracket but thought of a slightly different idea.

Turn the bracket upside down, screw MDF onto bracket, then screw PJ onto MDF. I will be ceiling mounting the PJ and was thinking about asking friend who is a welder to put an extension plate onto speaker bracket thus lowering the mount from ceiling. Suppose both ways would work but i feel with the MDF it would be a mopre secure fitting.

For the tilt adjuster you simply turn it the other way....

Just hope it works or else :suicide:

9. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,671
    That looks like it's going to be a fantastic room when finished - nice size and small sloping roof lines. Wish mine was like that....

If you're after a cheap ceiling mount, I've got two designs on my home page if you're interested. Both are based on cheap speaker brackets:

http://www.g-lightfoot.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ht1000.html

I'm currntly on MK 3 due to needing to flush mount it to the ceiling when I fit the anamorphic lens, so I'll put that on the site some time too.

Gary.

10. .scarface.

.scarface.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i used a punchbag bracket modified it slightly, and pj hangs from a board bolted to the bracket, it cost me about £10 - £15.

ideal for me, as it gives me the vent clearance at the back of the pj aswell.

Attached Files: