cheap projector for ps3

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mac_2005, Jan 25, 2008.

1. mac_2005

mac_2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm completly new to this so could do with a little advice. I was planning on spending around the £350 mark on a 32" lcd tv but then started thinking about projectors. Is it worth my while spending up to that amount to get a projector that will mainly be used for my ps3 and the occational dvd or am I better just getting the tv?

For that price can I get something bright enough, how long before I have to buy another bulb etc. Really don't want to spend alot of money as I'm skint.

Any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ones that have caught my eye:

http://www.dabs.com/ProductView.asp...0&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11110,14&InMerch=1
    http://www.dabs.com/ProductView.asp...0&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11110,14&InMerch=1
    http://www.dabs.com/productview.asp...tedId=11110&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11110,15

doesn't seem to be to much difference between the £220 and £350 models or am I missing something?

2. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    You don't want an SVGA projector for a PS3.. they're cheap for reason! None of the ones you list for example have an HDMI input. Only the first one has a component input (you *really* don't want to use composite) and that's an 800x600 4:3 panel so the best you're ever going to get out of it is 640x480 rescaled and it'll not show off the PS3 at all.

Personally I'd get the TV first - a projector is not a replacement for a TV, it's a way to get the big screen experience when watching bluray etc. When you've got your day to day TV sorted going then at the cheap end you have the Optoma HD65 for about £400, going up in scale to the 1080p projectors at about £2k and the sky's the limit beyond that.

AFAIK you won't get an HD projector for £350 (maybe second hand from ebay, but with a PJ it's not really worth the risk)... the ones that price are 480p.

Also factor in the cost of a screen (although a specially painted wall can do the trick, you'll get a better picture with a real screen).

3. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    I would say that if a projector meets your needs, then it can be a replacement for a TV. But it's not for everyone. I've only had a PJ now for about 5 years and never ever think I'd want a TV. I love the fact that my kids don't watch TV for example - the odd movie and game and recorded programme, but because the PJ is out of reach and the screen goes away, it's not 'waiting to be switched on'.

That said, it has to be a PJ which you enjoy watching and as Tony has said, you really need a specific home theater projector rather than a data pj - they may be bright, but they will also be crass and might not support video resolutions or be widescreen in format.

Remember that bulbs can often cost 2-300 as well, so if you buy a second hand one, that could be a risk.

I'd keep an eye on here just in case one of the 720p or 768p Optomas pops up there in your budget:
    http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/shop/products2.asp?CategoryID=201&SubCategoryID=152
    I'd also keep an eye on the classifieds here (hopefully slightly more trustworthy than ebay).

It's definitely a challenge, but projectors can be a lot of fun so it might be worth doing.

4. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Presumably, your audio is already sorted seperately?

5. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
  6. PhilJam

PhilJam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I was in the market for a 32" LCD and was fancying the Panasonic LXD70 but they cost £600+ at the time. After drawing the size of the 32"screen on my wall (still waiting to decorate) it looked very small. So I took the plunge and bought the Optoma HD65 for £400 from Dixons online. Have a look at the HD65 thread here :

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=664736

I now have a 80" diagonal image projected onto my wall which is awesome for HD material.

Hope this helps.

PhilJam

7. Flip_X

Flip_X
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    All those are complete junk for anything other than displaying bright, static powerpoint images. You'd be much better off spending the £350 you have on that 32" HD LCD.

Projector entry point for half decent performance is the Optoma HD65 at around £400.

8. Saldawop

Saldawop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,061
    Can confirm the HD65 is an excellent choice.Bought one today, played FIFA 08 via Xbox360 displayed directly onto a pale green wall and it looked stunning(approx 7ft Width) :thumbsup: . I couldnt wait so paid £450 ,but you can buy it online at Dixons cheaper(when it comes back in stock)

9. jazzert100

jazzert100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I think you gotta stretch the budget and get an HD65 it will be a revelation, buy an ikea black out blind at 24 quid for a 2m wide screen and yer away!:)
    Don't get a 32" tv it will have a dodgy picture and leave you unsatisfied!!
    honest!!
    In fact I think a lot of people on here would be horrified at how much they recently paid to get an inferior picture to the hd65.:)

10. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    The problem is the lamp life - if you're going to get 2000 hours out of a lamp and it's going to be on 8 hours a day you're going to be shelling out for a new lamp in under a year - which means a £200 outlay again.

That's low.. I think my TV is on in the background for about 18 hours a day given that the wife is at home during the day and I'm around until the early hours in the evening. I'd kill a PJ in 6 months flat doing that.

It depends on your lifestyle I guess.. I can't stand quiet rooms so often even sleep with a TV on news24 overnight.

11. xs2man

xs2man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I hear ya man, i cant stand a quiet room either.

However, all this advantages and disadvantage talk about using a pj as your main screen? The first post clearly states its for ps3, and occasional movies. Even the thread title suggest this.

So, with that in mind, save another £55, go into your PC world and ask them to price match the dixons online price for the HD65. I promise, you wont regret it. Its an awsome PJ for the money, and a very worthy entry into the market.

With bulb prices etc... I dont really know about replacement bulb prices yet, but I have had my old PJ for 2 years now, I only used it for xbox and movies, as you have said, and it has just less than 1000 hours, and i play a reasonable amount. My mate, just 4 months less time with PJ has just over 1000 hours, so both of us are between 1/3 and 1/2 way through bulb life after 18-24 months. Thats assuming you play a reasonable amount of games, and watch a reasonable amount of movies.

Of course, with a PJ your also gonna need a way of getting your sound, so if your budget has to include this aswell, I'm afraid the tv is probably the better option, unless you have a hifi you can get your sound out of until you buy a surround system, lol.

Good luck, and hope you make the right descision for your needs ;)

12. marshall_nathan

marshall_nathan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I stay with the second post,tv is not really a replacement for the tv,as the people say if you buy a decent projector you need a sound sistem,somewhere to put[wall mounting or celing mounting,shelf,bracket]long cable not always cheap.Where you have to put your projector,becouse i belive is better have a farly decent size room,if not is going to spoilthe idea of a big picture on the wall.I m building my cinema experience and cost me allready more then a 1000 pound.[this is a farlee cheap set up].Lf i was you i start with a nice tv and after an amplifier,and in the end a nice projector.But if you have your sound sistem try to buy a projector,you are not going to regret :smashin:

13. mac_2005

mac_2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the replies. Big help.

Should probably have said that I've already got a decent sound setup so would be channeling it through that. It's just in my bedroom so won't be on all the time and I've actually been offered a pull down screen so there isn't to much of an added expense. The HD65 looks a good bet. Just means a bit of extra saving. Hardest part now is persuading the mother that this is a good idea.

14. smackos

smackos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +694
    I had the same problem with the boss at home but rather than trying to persuade her first then buy I did it the other way round. Once I'd got it home and set up those frowns, grimaces and tut's soon turned to smiles when the first big screen film came on for the night.. :smashin: For someone that was "against" me getting one the first weekend afterwards I got dragged around the town centre while she went out and bought a load of dvd's to watch.. :D

Honestly, if it's just out your price range then save that little bit and get one mate. It'll be the best thing you've ever bought. Nothing can beat the pure joy of owning your first projector and watching your mates faces when you stick it on for a gaming/film night..you'll never regret it :thumbsup:

15. Mrhappy37

Mrhappy37

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Smackos is dead right, its the best toy ive ever bought. It makes a real treat of a new game or film. Some projectors also have an economy mode so the lamp lasts 50% longer (3000 hours). If you are worried about the lamp, then put away £1.50 a week toward a new one, a real bargain as every time you watch it is like going to the cinema, which costs about a fiver a time.
    As for convincing mum, buy a bunch of flowers at the same time as the projector, tell her how much you love her, and she will probably even help you install it.:thumbsup:

16. KERRYBR

KERRYBR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Another recommendation for the HD65 as a projector. Although, I would say its more the for a 'cinema experience' rather than all day everyday use.

The quality of the HD65 is excellent, wales beating england yesterday would have been enjoyable on a normal tv :thumbsup: on the 'big' screen it was simply out of this world. :clap: :clap:

17. zzzzfletchzzzz

zzzzfletchzzzz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    lamps for hd65 are now as low £97 ex vat £120 inc vat and delivery

18. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    hd65 lamps supposedly last 3000 hours and cost £100 to replace.