Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Cheap projector buying advice please

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by EnglishDude, Dec 6, 2003.

1. EnglishDude

EnglishDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

I realise you all must have seen this a lot, but have searched through the archives for some posts like this, but not seen any... (probably not looking hard enough ;))

Anyway, am interested in upgrading my 25" Panasonic CRT, for something bigger. While I'm a bit of a stickler for quality, my budget may constraint me somewhat (A grand or under). Will pretty much any projector do, or should I avoid some makes? Or is there any specific ones I should go for, such as the Panasonic AE200E?

Or is it worth looking at some on places such as Ebay?

Thanks very much for any help in advance ;)

Cheers - Piers

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi & welcome :)

The search facility here is quite useful.

To get you started:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=96365&highlight=cheap+advice

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102872&highlight=advice

The AE200 & Z1 are worthy of consideration & with new models out/arriving soon, the AE300 & others are/will drop in price, giving you more options & VFM.

Searches on the PJs I've mentioned will provide loads of information, as will the FAQ

here.

Best of luck :)

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    I second Z1 also look at S/h on here and other forums, HS2/HS10 all float around at sensible money.

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Indeed. HS10 currently on offer for just £1200 with only 60 hours :eek:

The HS10 is streets ahead of anything at/around the £1k mark so definitely worth considering.

:smoke:

5. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    EnglishDude, are you considering using a PJ as your only means of display? or are you looking to replace your tv & get a PJ?

6. EnglishDude

EnglishDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

Thanks very much for all of your responses!

Will read the URL's and stuff later - going to be of great help. But a couple questions now.

I've heard of the Infocus X1 - DLP @ £768 inc VAT. Is this better than the AE200?

WeirdFish - no, not going to replace the TV - going to use TV for breakfast TV, news, usual stuff, but projector for DVD's andf ilms. Not quite sure how to install the projector at the back, and stuff on the front - don't think they've got long enough SCART cables...?

Thanks to everyone for your help again :)

Cheers - Piers

7. EnglishDude

EnglishDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like its a shootout between the X1 and the AE200 - the X1 is winning, although the rainbow effect of the DLP is worrying me the most. Anyone know of some shop who would be more than happy to demo me a DLP in the South West? (Bristol/Bath preferably).

Is it worth pluging for a DLP or is it safer to go for the Panasonic?

Thanks again ;)

Cheers - Piers

8. FazerThou

FazerThou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Radford in Bristol have the X1, or did have about 4 months ago. I looked at it before i bought my HS2. Where abouts are you as your welcome to have a viewing of mine. I'm about 12 miles from Bath and Bristol

9. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    as mentioned by fazerthou have shops in both Bristol and Bath. I also bought my PJ from them.

Having been there recently, I can recall them having -

Infocus 4800 - DLP

Infocus 5700 - DLP

Sharp Z91E - DLP

Sony HS3 - LCD

amongst others on display. The 4800 is the replacement for the X1 and is £1200.00 inc. vat and is very good for the money - dependant on whether you see rainbow. The 5700 is superb but has a very long throw. I simply love the Sharp Z91E too.

Cap:smashin:

10. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Englishdude -> If your still looking for a demo of the X1, I'm having one tomorrow at 12:30 at Sevenoaks in Whiteladies Road in Bristol, of the Infocus 4800, which is supposed to be exactly the same machine as the X1.

They want £1200 for it, but you can get the IBM clone which is exactly the same except for a different coloured body for £800. If the demo gives rise to no rainbows I think I'm going to get one.

11. beecee

beecee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +449
    the X1 looks not too bad and has a lamp life of 3000 hours but its £350 for a spare/replacement.
    and the lack of component inputs is offputing...

hold out and try the panny 300. (its due for a price drop when the 500 arrives)

12. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    If I understand correctly what I've been told, I think you can input a component signal into the X1 using special cables / adaptors. Apparently you can feed component into the s-vid as interlaced, or progressive into the VGA port.

I think you get these special leads with the 4800 and maybe the X1, but not the cheaper IMB clone.

I don't have progressive, so I'll be using the s-vid - the only issue for me now is to see if I can see these dreaded rainbows - all will be revealed tomorrow.

13. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well if you don't see them on the X1 (or variant), you'll never seem them.

14. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Just got back from my demo of the Infocus 4800, aka X1.

Picture looked great - except for the rainbows. This is the first DLP I've seen, and I did find it a bit off putting. I found it worse during Gladiator - if there were any large areas of black on the screen I would get bright flashes. Put Goldmember on, with bright colourful scenes and no dark patches and I couldn't see any at all.

I can't aford to go up to the X91, and I've been put off LCD by reports of dead pixels / reliability issues with Panasonic and Sony and the lack of contrast and true black rendition. I've got £1200 burning a hole in my pocket and I'm not sure which way to go !

15. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    Can your budget stretch to the Sanyo Z2 then?

Or, why not give Radfords another call and see if they can do a deal on the Z91E. Perhaps they could offer you it over twelve months/interest free?

Just an idea, but its a superb machine.

Cap:smashin:

16. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Told you :p

£1200 leaves you a bit short of better DLPs but you shouldn't discount LCDs. Lots more options withing your budget.

If you can manage the throw ratio there's a HS10 going in the classifieds for £1k.