1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap prog scan dvd player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dfield2000, Dec 19, 2003.

1. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi,
    I've been budgeting for my PJ and screen, with a view to saving up for a prog scan dvd player at a later date, as I was under the impression that a PAL/NTSC prog player woud be mega-bucks.

But while demoing a 4800 in Sevenoaks, I noticed they had a Yamaha s540 with PAL/NTSC prog scan for 140 quid ! I was quite surprised at how cheap this is.

My question is :- I currently have a Toshiba sd-2109, which although is getting long in the tooth, was certainly not a budget player at the time - but the Yammie at 140 just appears to be very cheap and therefore in 'budget' category. So, would you say that a Projector would be better off with my current player, or is this Yammie actaully a good deal.

Cheers

P.S. I though about puttin gthis in the DVD section, but I'm interested in this players performance in relation to how well it will feed a projector so I thought I'\d put it here.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    HK DVD25 for £250.......

3. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'm looking for a PJ around the 1000 quid mark, so I wouldn;t really want to spend 250 on a player, but it's tempting to get the Yammie for 140 - just not sure if it would give much of a performance impovement over my current player.

By the way, I went into your place last Saturday. The guy who served my said the cheapest thing he could get me was the z1 at 1500. Will you be getting anything else-in in the future ?

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Still a DVD player query so more suitable in the DVD player forum.

Those with CRT PJs & plasmas will have opinions on progressive scan players too.

Moved.

5. saturday

saturday
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently bought an S540 to go with my plasma.

I can't offer a comparison between it and your Tosh but I can say that I am very pleased with it. PAL/NTSC can be set to one or the other or auto. Progressive output is stunning on my screen.

Seems well built but the remote is a bit cheap feeling.

I paid £109.95 from hificonfidential. Richer sounds are the same price.

If you really are on a budget then have you seen the player that Lidl and Novatech are offering? Less than £40, PAL/NTSC, progressive and component out! (not multiregion though I guess there might be a remote hack).

6. ant1973

ant1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also have an Infocus X1 - which is almost identical to the 4800. Before you buy a progressive scan player you should be certain that the DVD's deinterlacer is at least as good as the one in your projector. The players which have been suggested do not have deinterlacers which are the equal of your projector's.

From what I have been able to make out, it would appear that the Faroujda deinterlacer in the 4800 is difficult to surpass. There is much comment on this on the avsforum board in the USA. You should also have a look at the hometheatre magazine secrets rating system which confirms this to be the case.

I would suggest that you demo quite carefully before you buy. I have seen a Denon 2800 DVD player (Mk II) paired wth an X1 using its own internal deinterlacer (non faroujda) which did not look any better than my Toshiba 210e utilising the projector's own deinterlacer.

As I mentioned above, I suspect that it may be worth taking a demo of certain of the faroudja based dvd players eg Philips 963 or the Samsung 935 (provided you can overcome the DVI issue) Theoretically they may yield a better picture than the internal deinterlacer of the projector as it is technically a "cleaner" signal (there is some anecdotal evidence of this on the avsforum board.

regards,

Anthony

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Z2 £1600, to be honest i am the only person who reallys knows PJ's so if you spoke me i apolgise!!!
    Z1 is now £1200
    Decent deal on Z2 iscan and a screen though!!

8. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    no, it wasn't you - I think you were with a customer in the other half of the shop.

Appologies for lack of knowledge here, but I need to ask a bit of thickie question.

I thought that to best utilise a pj abilities you needed to feed in a progressive scan signal from a dvd player via a component connection - but are you saying that if you feed in an non-prog singal then the built in de-interlacer will do excactly the same job - an when comparing to a budget dvd player, the pj might even do a better job itself.

I've decided against the X1 due to the rainbows, and it looks like the best PJ I can get for 1000 quid is the Z1. Does this have it's own de-interlacer, and can anyone comment on whether or not is is better thatn the one on board the Yammaha dvd player.

Thanks for advice chaps.

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    its all down to native display stuff. a PJ will deinterlace the video sourcebut in its intelaced form noise etc is picked up and the that is included in the displayed picture. EG a Z1 an Iscan pro will match a £2k PJ but cost almost that its an odd world!!!
    As long as your feeding PG with YUV should be fine mate, best bet is go for a cheaper DVD with godd inteaced YUV and buy an Iscan!
    PS I am at work at the moment so if you want to pop along!

10. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not IMO. The Z1 will still be a Z1 :p

What about a £2k PJ with HCPC?

Actually, have you considered a HCPC? Little more than £140 (but not much if you have some bits'n'pieces already) & not as user friendly, but performance that (can) better DVD players costing > £1k :eek:

Readily upgradable too & can be used for TV capture/deinterlacing/scaling etc.

:smoke:

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    The crusade is still on i see!

12. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ;)

13. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Kramer / Dragon
    I've been agonising over which 1k pj to get - managed to get a demo of X1 - didn't like it - concluded that I have to go for LCD considering my budget - put of the Panasonics by reports of bad reliability - and decided that the Z1 appears to be the best at this price bracket - even though I can't get a demo of it - reading most of the threads the Z1 owners all seem pretty happy with what they've got.

I've just ordered one from Ijovo this morning - and now I'm being racked with doubts !!!

Can you do me a favour and tell me that the Z1 is a good machine at this price range - that it's the best LCD projector sub 1k. I just need some re-assurance from someone that I haven't just blown 1k on something crap !

14. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I don't have the Z1, I have the older PLV30. The Z1 so undisputably at least as good and probably better. I can tell you this with certainty. The picture I get is anything but crap and I've only been feeding s-video up until now. (HK DVD25 arrives tomorrow rool on Prog scan). :D

The Z1 is a budget LCD PJ. It is not the best PJ on the market, but bang for buck it's still got to be up there. I don't know exactly what the best price is for these at present, but provided you didn't pay over the odds all's well. If it's your first PJ prepare to be wowed and provided you get it in time, you are in for one happy Christmas.:smashin:

Hope this allays some of you fears

Cheers

Croc

15. Beastie Boy

Beastie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all.

I too am considering the Yamaha S540 as at £109, it seems a good buy. What's confusing me at the moment is this talk about de-interlacers. I the DVD media is progressive (as 99% of movies are) is the de-interlacer still used. And if so, what for?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I don't see at what point the picture becomes interlaced. :blush:

Cheers, Beastie.

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    What size screen?
    We could have given you a demo the other day mate, admitadly not the best it the world!!! Long story!! but a demo! Z1 is uperb for the money! but getting the best out of it is the hard part, a HTPC is the best budget route but many people prefer to use seperate DVD, TV sources If your not keen on HTPC then a S/H Iscan should maybe on your list of things to consider!!! Image quality has a lot of variables, if you havent already get a copy of DVE best £15 you will spend!!!

17. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the re-assurance. I had a bit of a panic moment there - but I'm really looking forward to it now.

I'm only going to be feeding a DVD signal in, so I've ordered the s540 from digitaldirect for £117 along with a tidy set of composite leads.

The screen is going to be approx 2.4 wide - ordered the material from DRH - just gotta finish building the frame now.

18. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I assume you mean component !!!

19. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    yeah, that's the one - component.

Having trouble keeping up with all this new fangled technology.