cheap processor

silouette

Hi you guys at Denon ,Pioneer,Yamha ,Rotel ,Oppo ,Arcam and Marantz .or anybody elae who might like to jump into a market niche ,how about making aAV processor for reasonable money for those of us with less money and more sence.

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
I just bought a new 'processor' (just a Marantz SR6010 and I don't use the built in power amps). I just swapped out an Arcam AV8 and can't say that I feel music sounds any way inferior and the film sound is a big step up (HD sound verses DD/DTS 5.1). Couldn't justify buying the specific processor 7702 MkII (especially as I doubt I'll use Atmos) at twice the price, plus if I'm unlucky enough to have a problem with my power amp again I have the internal amps in the 6010 as a back up.

Reading about the new Anthem processor, it sounds very much like one of the AVR models (720?) just with the power amps removed. Considering the extra cost I can't see the point myself, unless you really believe you can hear the difference.

silouette

I just bought a new 'processor' (just a Marantz SR6010 and I don't use the built in power amps). I just swapped out an Arcam AV8 and can't say that I feel music sounds any way inferior and the film sound is a big step up (HD sound verses DD/DTS 5.1). Couldn't justify buying the specific processor 7702 MkII (especially as I doubt I'll use Atmos) at twice the price, plus if I'm unlucky enough to have a problem with my power amp again I have the internal amps in the 6010 as a back up.

Reading about the new Anthem processor, it sounds very much like one of the AVR models (720?) just with the power amps removed. Considering the extra cost I can't see the point myself, unless you really believe you can hear the difference.

kenm

Interesting topic. Like Kelvins1965 I have an Arcam AV8 with plenty of external power amps, and the lack of HDMI on the AV8 was driving me nuts. Cables everywhere, HDMI splitters, all the optical inputs on the AV8 used up, and no affordable preamps to replace it. Throw in the HDMI standards and 4K TV and things like the Marantz SR6010 seems like the only way forward. But why pay for seven, nine, or even eleven power amps that I don't need?

So I got a smart TV, with four HDMI inputs and an optical out. There is now an optical cable between the TV and the AV8, an HDMI cable between the BDP and the TV, and, if I want, HD audio as the the BDP has a line output from the BDP to the AV8. The TV sends any audio it gets from HDMI to the AV8 via optical (not sure every TV will do this). Loads of spaghetti cables removed, number of remotes halved, and I get a new telly and get to keep the AV8.

But you are right OP, why no affordable processors without a load of power amps that many of us don't need? Yamaha used to do a decent job here but they seem to have given up.

My solution isn't perfect, but I got a new TV which I wanted anyway, I have not downgraded audio in anyway, I have reduced cable and remote mess, and can keep half an eye on the classifieds for a contemporary AV8 beater that nobody wants and can easily slot into my system.

TomScrut

I would be interested to know what oppo are planning for their next blu rays. The 103 & 105 could arguably be used as a processor if all your sources were hdmi and you didn't want inbuilt EQ. I use my 103 as a processor for HDMI sources using ARC from the TV (which has 4 HDMI inputs) and the one in the back of the Oppo. Output to my DAC via SPDIF (but could be used to output to amps if needs be) and I am sorted. I don't use the internal volume as the DAC does that (and I aren't sure it affects digital out anyway) but on analogue outs could easily work.

But if they do a new UHD player then we may get more inputs and analogue inputs perhaps? Just speculation though without a lot of thought.

silouette

I use my oppo105 as a processor with analogue outs and it's digital volume control is just fantastic

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom