cheap processor just for sub...what to buy....?

Arcam_boy

Distinguished Member
My system currently consists of my sig and i'm wanting to shortly add an svs pb13 ultra.

I'm only currently wanting a 2.1 system so would prefer a processor over an integrated receiver.

Is there anything 2nd hand I could get for around £200 max just to run the sub? I will eventually upgrade to a classe or lexicon processor so this is only temp so that I can add a sub to my system.

Many Thanks

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
Given the quality of your current equipment, adding a £200 receiver or processor just to run a sub may be considered rather questionable - you need a common volume control. I would therefore recommend a course of action that does not involve using a cheap receiver / processor to degrade the total sound experience.

IIRC, although your A5 has pre-amp out connections, it doesn't have a power amp in connections If it did, all you would have needed to do is run the stereo lead from the preamp out to the SVS low level input and another stereo lead back from the SVS low level ouptut to the power amp in. However you could using your A5's pre-out to run a sereo lead to the SVS. Since the SVS wouldn't be processing the signal prior to power amplification you'll have bass coming from both the SVS and your B&W's, but you ought to be able to balance the sound.

Another variation is to purchase a different active subwoofer that supports speaker level inputs. Unfortunately, the SVS PB13 Ultra does not (I have no idea why). You then run both speaker cables to the sub and to the speakers. The impedance on such a subwoofer is so high that your kit doesn't even notice its presence - your amp is not driving the active subwoofer. You need to carry out the same balancing as in the previous suggestion. The advantage of this solution is complete independence from the amplification, and is my recommendation if you're not committed to the SVS.

Bassbin

Novice Member
If you have a spare set of preamp outputs then you could add Behringer CX2310 active crossover and Behringer Feedback Destroyer if you want to also EQ the sub.

To inset this you would continue to use your speakers and amp in the same way as you do now but would run stereo phono preouts to the balanced inputs on the crosover (you can get phono to XLR leads or adapters) and then you can run stereo low frequency outputs or a mono sub output to the sub. There are a couple of threads on here if you type CX2310 in the search box you should find them.

badbob

Banned
Why not just buy a stereo analogue pre-amp? I have a Audiolab 8000Q, two sets of pre-outs, so that'll work with a sub, plus a poweramp.

I don't quite get why you need a processor for the subwoofer. Unless you want LFE decoding only which'll be routed to the sub? But then that's similar to just using full-range left & right downmix with the sub crossover enabled, although not quite as good get similar results (low bass signal)

If you're adding a subwoofer to your existing system, just use the pre-outs on your amp. If you do really need a seperate DD decoder

Arcam_boy

Distinguished Member
Thanks for all the great replies.

I'm afraid I'm useless when it comes to technical stuff and running from pre - powers etc.

I've decided I would like the svs pb 13 ultra or b&w 855 as I'm in quite in to people like timbaland, p diddy etc who have bassy sings and feel the above subs would do them justice.

I would also certainly like to keep the MF A5 as I love it with my speakers although your quite right it does have pre outs but no power amp ins :thumbsdow

So could I basically run a phono interconnect (correct me if i'm wrong please) from the A5's pre out to the svs's low level in put, for now, which would then incorporate the svs in to my system with out a processor/receiver? But with the downside would be, having low frequency signals going to my 805S?

Many Thanks for your help again maybe I can have a final demo and order my new sub sooner than I thought :devil::devil:

badbob

Banned
Yes you send full range low (or high level if the sub has them) then use the subs own crossover. Or if you buy a sub with in/out filter you connect high level to the sub, and your speakers to the sub high speaker out. The pro of this is the sub filters out the low stuff, however the con is it'll reduce sound quality, how much I'm not sure. The SVS SB12+ has this feature (going to use it for the Hi-Fi rig, like you) but the PC Ultra has no high level inputs at all (HT system) So having high level in/out in your system might come in handy. Especially if you have little satellites where you DO need to filter the low stuff. I'm using standmounts in the Hi-Fi system, sending full-range also.

Arcam_boy

Distinguished Member
many thanks badbob.

I don't want to compromise sound quality in my system just add a little more low end. Although the 805S's are small bookshelf speakers they go fairly low so should cope with staying full range. I would just want the sub to handle the low stuff if thats what high/low level input determines??

maybe I should look at the pb12+ maybe I'm a little confused lol :rolleyes:

badbob

Banned
pb12+ does have high level inputs/outputs. It is strange why the top end subs lack high level (PC Ultra 13 and PB Ultra)

If you're sending full-range low level to the sub, then any of the SVS subs will do. Just if you want high level then need to look at anything but the Ultras.

Just noticed my PC Ultra 13 has XLR and RCA high pass, if this is just line level crossover perhaps could put the chain like this?:confused:

Pre-amp--->SVS--->Poweramps--->Speakers

That way the poweramps are only receiving 50hz> So prior to amplification. Again though probably degrade sound quality, if the crossover in the sub is low quality. Still nice to have to experiment with. Rel recommend using high level, instead of low level. So if even you're not doing the in/out crossover still useful.

or maybe

Pre-amp--->LF Poweramp----> SVS--->LF drivers

I'll be using low level from my stereo pre-amp into the SB12+ btw.

Arcam_boy

Distinguished Member
Hi badbob.

I e-mailed av sales yesterday who sell the svs range of subs, outlining my system and what I wanted to achieve and they said...

You can use the stereo line out connections of your M/F into the same on the PB13 and filter the higher frequencies that you don’t want the SVS to deal with by switching the Crossover switch to On. It will work just fine.

Is that basically what was said earlier in the thread, meaning my 805S's will still be outputting low frequencies?

Thanks for all your help, I know I'm a pain lol :oops:
:thumbsup:

badbob

Banned
yeah that's right. Reading svs manual it seems the crossover output is 80/100hz which is a bit high, I thought the output filter changes relative to the setting on the sub crossover setting. So basically any svs sub with line input will do. Just fitted SB12+ to the Hi-Fi system, using pre-outs to a Y to the sub, set to crossover on 60hz.

SVS PB13 Ultra seems a bit much for a Hi-Fi system though, unless you've got a huge room. I wonder if SVS have a SB13 Ultra in the works? (Ultra driver, Sealed Box) I do think sealed subs are slightly "faster"

Arcam_boy

Distinguished Member
thanks I might go with the pb13 ultra as that was my plan in the first place and it will eventually be going with some 802D's and HTM2D with the 805S's as rears. At current I've just got my current system as my hi fi in a room of only 15 x 10ft so not massive :rolleyes:

i'll just get one or two bits sorted and place an order :devil:

badbob

Banned
This should be moved to subs section. I have a PC Ultra 13, so I think can make a valid opinion. I think for a stereo system it's a bit OTT, you don't need masses of output unlike HT. So if you DO want a PC Ultra/PB Ultra get it for your HT, and something else for the stereo system.

Send a email asking if they could produce a sealed box Ultra sub. SVS only have a single sealed box sub, so I wouldn't be suprised to do make a SB Ultra. It'll be a shame to get a Ultra sub and never even coming 1/10th it's limit.

I'd go and have a demo.

alexs2

This should be moved to subs section. I have a PC Ultra 13, so I think can make a valid opinion. I think for a stereo system it's a bit OTT, you don't need masses of output unlike HT. So if you DO want a PC Ultra/PB Ultra get it for your HT, and something else for the stereo system.

Send a email asking if they could produce a sealed box Ultra sub. SVS only have a single sealed box sub, so I wouldn't be suprised to do make a SB Ultra. It'll be a shame to get a Ultra sub and never even coming 1/10th it's limit.

I'd go and have a demo.
I'll move it if sufficient want it to be moved,including the OP.

I have a PC-Ultra,which is used both as part of the AV system,and stereo,with very similar speakers to Arcam_boy(earlier series 805s).

If the sub is set up properly,with the crossover and notch filter used appropriately,it will only reproduce the bass actually present on the stereo source,and definitely isn't OTT for a stereo system....of course,it's easily possible to get it wrong,or simply rack it up if you do want to over-egg the bass end,but it doesnt need to be that way,and offers you the reserve for when it is required.

Arcam_boy

Distinguished Member
thanks for the reply Alex.

I'm not too bothered where this thread is placed as its a bit of both at the moment.

One of the main reason I'd like the pb ultra over the sb12+ is, when I finally get my full 5.1 system the ultra would fit in perfectly and save me having to upgrade again in the next couple of years. I don't want over blown bass just something to fill in for the 805S's down the lower end, as its the only area I find my system lacking.

Thanks again.

alexs2

thanks for the reply Alex.

I'm not too bothered where this thread is placed as its a bit of both at the moment.

One of the main reason I'd like the pb ultra over the sb12+ is, when I finally get my full 5.1 system the ultra would fit in perfectly and save me having to upgrade again in the next couple of years. I don't want over blown bass just something to fill in for the 805S's down the lower end, as its the only area I find my system lacking.

Thanks again.
Sounds as if you have thought that out just fine....I would have(and I guess have) done exactly the same,by buying the best sub I could in terms of both AV and stereo requirements and the PC_Ultra fitted that nicely.

I think it's much better to have a powerful,well controlled sub,especially if it's fitting in with speakers like the 805's,which will show up deficiencies elsewhere.