Cheap/practical 2nd car?

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
My wife just got a job that is a 30 minute commute each way mom-dri. Previously she's been self employed working from home. So we will need a second car. Main car is a 3 series which will be used for longer trips and with the family etc so the new car doesn't have to be big or fancy - cheap and cheerful is the order of the day. Assume petrol as we've always had petrol and a mixed fuel household is asking for trouble.

Only absolute requirement would be an auto gearbox which might limit some small car options.

Budget - not really sure as this has come out of the blue a bit, but less than £10k would be good and obviously the lower the better. Open to used but has to be reliable.

My wife used it have an Audi A3 sportback s-line in White which she loved, but we sold it when we moved back to one car. I doubt something like that would be in budget though (and feels a bit impractical if we really just want something to chug around in)

Last edited:

un1eash

Distinguished Member
Something kia with 7 years warranty? They do autos in the Venga, Picanto and Rio but I'd look at a Ceed.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
How far is the commute and on what roads? If busy traffic then have you considered all electric like the Nissan Leaf. If not then go try one as they are a very smooth drive. Also very cheap to run. Secondhand ones can 've bought in your budget but we lease one for £100 a month which is less than my wife used to pay in fuel. You also get loads of equipment as standard and can set the car so it warms the inside before you leave in the morning. As a second car they are great.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
That distance and traffic is perfect for all electric. Will be very cheap to run. Try a Leaf in Techna spec and you may be pleasantly surprised how nice it is.

DVD-Man

Can you suggest any good deals? I'm seeing nothing remotely like £100 a month for one, they all seem £150+
Remember your not paying fuel and roadtax though.

A lot of small auto gearboxes are rubbish so not as economic as their manual counterparts and heavier too.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
The best deals were when I popped into my local dealer. The online deals, including Carwow seemed to be around the £150 at the time but went into dealer for a 4 day test drive of a Leaf and then they came up with the £100 deal. So worth going in and asking. also take the 4 day free trial to see how you get on with it as well.

Rob8980

How about the Toyota Yaris hybrid? It's got a CVT auto box and I think a 5 year warranty. Not sure of the cost though.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
I think my wife might veto that. I can probably talk her down from an Audi, but Kia/Hyundai etc would be unlikely.

I think you're a little out of date there. New Kia/Hyundai models are as mainstream as anything else.

Automatic and cheap don't tend to go together, as well as the fuel economy issue you tend to pay higher tax. A normal automatic gearboxs rather than the generally disliked automated manuals are pretty rare under £10k.

Electric is a good shout. How about the C-Zero/iOn/i-Miev? I think they're down to about £12k new these days.

The ForFour/Twingo are a got bet too. Similar price, £11-12k for the entry level automatic, but they get a pretty smooth dual clutch automatic which is also efficient and tax-free.

The Misubishi Mirage is worth a look since it's also very cheap and efficient, reviews aren't very flattering about how it drives though.

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
Twingo looks interesting, thanks. Not sure about electric although some decent lease offers around.

The little cars shoot up in price damn quick though as soon as you want even basic options. Clearly designed to overlap with the higher up models with more kit as standard and so you begin the stepping stones to empty your wallet :)

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Go get an extended test drive of an all electric car and I am sure you will be tempted. A 10mile drive will cost around 30p in electricity and they are so refined to drive. They are single speed so no gear changes. You just get full power from 0mph to top speed.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Well worth taking them up on 4 day trial. Can really see if electric would work for you.

gangzoom

Can you suggest any good deals? I'm seeing nothing remotely like £100 a month for one, they all seem £150+

You wouldn't get a Leaf for £100/month, back in March when Nissan were 'giving' them away, deals were going for <£200/month for 2 years with no deposits. Those deals are now gone, it's a £20K+ new car (£26K for the top of the range 30KWh version), and nicer than any equivalent ICE....Especially an auto-box version of a small city car.

Renault recent were doing good deals on Zoe's, my in-laws have ordered one, £500 deposit and £156/month for 2 years, including free home charger install and first service.

Either way both the Leaf and Zoe come loaded with toys. My mid-range Leaf isn't far off the spec of my wife top of the range Lexus IS300H.

Running costs of EVs is simply crazy, I've now done 4500 miles in my Leaf, used 475 kWh of my own electricity = £57. That's 1.2p per mile - Ecotricity Rapid chargers are still free to use at moment, and my local Nissan garage is less than 2 miles from the house and 5 minute walk away from a nearby Asda. So essentially by the time I've done shopping the car is 'refuelled' for free....Absolutely crazy, especially since I walk past a petrol station on the way and see people paying money to fill up, cannot see it last forever, but for now I'm enjoying the benefits.

As the weather is getting colder, I'm also loving the pre-warm feature on the car. About 10 minutes before I leave the house I simply use my phone to switch on the heating in the car - Result is nice and toasty car waiting to go. Looking forwards to not have to defrost the car.....When ever winter decides to finally arrive this year :)

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Twingo looks interesting, thanks. Not sure about electric although some decent lease offers around.

The Leaf and Zoe are bigger cars but much more expensive, entry level price is £20k instead of £12k. The iOn and C-Zero are also option-free. What you see if what you get, other than colour choice (and you don't even have to pay extra for metallic).

Looking at spritmonitor the C-zero/iOn/i-Miev are averaging around 14.5-15 KW/100km so with a 16kWh battery that's around 70 miles real life range. It depends on how far her commute is but that's a reasonable amount. It doesn't give the maximum AC charge rate but assuming it accepts a 6kW supply (the less powerful of the two common ones) it'll add 24 miles to the range for an hour of charging when it's close to flat (batteries charge more slowly when they get full). As a second car it's likely to be ample.

It comes with an 8 year, 60,000 mile warranty on the battery (and a 5 year warranty on the rest of the drive train).

The Mitsubishi i city car that rivaled the likes of the i10 and C1/107/Aygo never really got much exposure here (possibly because of the awkward name) but it was a big hit for Mitsubishi in Japan. It is a standard car, primarily designed for a petrol engine, so the electric versions are a different kettle of fish from electric quadricycles like the Twizy and G-wiz.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
My brother got quoted £100 per month for a leaf only about a month ago so there are still deals around. If you
buy secondhand then they are quite cheap too considering size and spec.

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
Think my wife has settled on a swift - helps at they have some decent deals at the mo. She shook her head when I was looking at the leaf :)

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Shame as the Leaf would really suit your needs. Shame there is such prejudice without even trying it.

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
Oh she didn't discount it because it was electric, just because it was ugly apparantly (she didn't like its face). I said nothing.

gangzoom

Oh she didn't discount it because it was electric, just because it was ugly apparantly (she didn't like its face). I said nothing.

She is 100% right the Leaf is ugly. I didn't show it to my wife when I ordered one - But I was buying it for my self.

For the first few months of ownership she couldn't stop making milk float jokes, and refused to go on any long distance trips in it.....But now she loves the whole EV concept.

Mod Edit (sponsored by Tesla)

Last edited by a moderator:

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
Yeah I think the most likely result is me having one as a second car. Depending on commute times we could look at that next time we change.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Not sure I agree with the Leaf being ugly. It may not be the sportiest etc. but it is no worse than most other cars of a similar size etc.
Although maybe I do not care about how a car looks but more how it drives and how much it costs!!!!

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
Not sure I agree with the Leaf being ugly. It may not be the sportiest etc. but it is no worse than most other cars of a similar size etc.
Although maybe I do not care about how a car looks but more how it drives and how much it costs!!!!

I never said my wife was a logical person ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

What's new on Disney+ UK for February 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Focal releases 1000 Series integrated speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Klipsch announces ProMedia 2.1 BT speaker set
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
No Time to Die gets pushed to 8th Oct 2021
  • By Andy Bassett