1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap Plasma Screens, are they any good?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by cams0ft, Jan 1, 2005.

1. cams0ft

cams0ft

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks.

I am new here so please don't crucify me if I am asking the obvious. I currently own a 3 year old Toshiba 42 RPTV. I find the picture quality ‘okay’ but convergence is a bit annoying at times plus I want a telly on the wall (the other extreme to taking up half the living room :laugh: ). So it’s time for me to jump on the plasma bandwagon ….

Question:
    There are so many cheap (1k) plasmas flooding in to the market at the moment and I hear ‘rumors’ that all panels are made by only a few companies anyway and the cheap panels are just the same as the expensive ones re-badged with less brightness, contrast and options.

So down to the big question are the cheap plasmas i.e. the Daewoo, the Tiny, Goodmans, Techwood (and all the other cheap names) any good?

Can they ever produce a picture quality on par with a Panny, Hitachi etc?

Is it all down to configuration, i.e VGA connections, clean video sources etc?

Someone enlighten me because I’m finding it difficult to justify a two grand telly when I can get one for a grand!!!! :rolleyes:

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  3. cams0ft

cams0ft

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi mate.

I have seriously considered the Panny PW6 but I don’t really know why I should spend an extra £300, is it for the badge?

Why should I pay £1500 for the Panny? What's wrong with the £1000 Daewoo, Tiny, etc?

4. Peabo

Peabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They'll look worse than any other tv you've ever owned. That will be the best extra £500 you ever spend. It's not just a case of buying the brand-name, they are genuinely better TVs. Also the components inside these cheap tvs are prone to malfunctions. I have had 2 samsung plasmas break on me within 1-2 weeks of owning the product. From personal experience I'd say it's best not to be too cheap when buying a plasma TV, it really makes a difference.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    do you buy the cheapest everything??? Drive a PERODUA car??? Why spend £1000s more on BMW or MERC?
    See if you can find any happy owners of a £1000 plasma.. and then see if you can find any happy (should i make that "find any unhappy panny owners")...........upto you mate but you should go and demo them and see for your self (that is the most important bit)

6. cams0ft

cams0ft

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmmmm....

You guys have a valid point there, :rolleyes: I haven't a problem with buying a BM 330. And I agree I haven't heard ANYONE calling there Panny plasma crap...

Bah!!! You've got me!!

Panny here I come!!

Thanks! :thumbsup: