Cheap phone with GPS for tracking people!

Piscauk

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Not quite as stalkery as this first appears....

A women I work with has a child with Down's syndrome. He is now in his late teens, and she wants him to have more freedom. However, as he cant read, and struggles with directions, he often gets lost. I mentioned that Android, iOS etc offer programs allowing you to see where your friends are, but as I am massively socially inept I have never had any cause to use GPS tracking apps :)

What I am after is a recommendation for a CHEAP phone/phones, 1 for him and 1 for him mum, and the most reliable program for this kind of thing. Ideally, an app that can run in the background so as it wont get accidently killed, and accurate enough so if the young fella and his mum are around town or alike, and he gets lost, she has a good idea what shop or alike he is in :)

Hope we can get some ideas together, or someone could point me in the direction of some decent hardware/software.

Something Android, so you can use Latitude would seem a good starting place.

I thought Latitude would be a good starting point, being integrated (and free methinks) within Android. Is it suitably reliable enough for this kind of use? And equally, can it be used fairly securely so as his personal data isnt being spread to wide and far?

It's as secure as you make it, so only share your location to people of your own choosing. It's reliability will be as good as the location services of the device you buy, namely network triangulation (using mobile masts to locate you, quick but less accurate) and GPS (far more accurate, but needs a clear view of the sky).

Latitude is a fairly mature product so any problems will be hardware related, which might be a gamble at this price point but I don't see a way around that without spending more, but then even that's no guarantee of success.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom