1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap PDA as Pronto

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by tonyb, May 2, 2004.

1. tonyb

tonyb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I posted yesterday in the special offer forum about a cheap pda at PC World and Dixons this weekend - it's here

The hardware spec claims to have consumer IR support, and, from what I have tried so far, it certainly seems to be working.

I'm using a trial version of PDAWIN, and have learned some of the codes for a variety of devices. These include a Sony AV Receiver, Thomson TV, Grundig Freeview and a Pace DI400N cable STB. Still a lot of work to do yet, but I've downloaded Pronto Edit and I'm now making ccfs for all of my kit.

So, if anyone has been thinking about a Pronto recently, I'd recommend one of these PDAs (Mitac Mio 338), as it is full colour and has full PDA functions, and is only £129 this weekend.

Hope this is of use (and in the right forum!),
    Tony

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,888
    I'm using an IPAQ 2210 with the included Nevo software and finding it very good.

3. stlic

stlic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Just a couple of questions?.. Is the screen permanently back lit or do you have to turn on the back light every time you use the pda as a remote. Also can you use the pda just like a pronto.. by simply touching the screen or do you have to use the point at all times. I'm seriously considering either a PDA or pronto but I'm the sort of person who simply wants to point and click... not fiddle to find the right key.

Anyway thanks for the info. JohnG feel free also..;) the 2210 is nice with the 400 Mhz processor but is it alot bigger than the 1940 (which looks uber cool as it's so damn small).

4. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,888
    I'll let you know a bit more info when I've got used to it - I only started setting it up yesterday !
    One word of warning - the 1940 doesn't have the ability to be used as a remote as foar as I know as it doesn't have a powerful enough infra red.

5. tonyb

tonyb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    stlic,

As far as the Mitac Mio is concerned, the backlight shuts off after about 1 minute of inactivity. Touch the screen with a finger or the stylus and it comes back to life.

Using it like a Pronto seems ok too - no problems with using a finger instead of a stylus. I used a default tv device and trained it to control a grundig freeview box. On the pda screen, the number keys were about 10mm in diameter, so no problems with using a finger!.

If you use one of the applications that supports the use of .ccf files, you can use pronto edit to create your own layouts, so you can make buttons as large as you like.

On the subject of 1930 and 1940 IPAQs, I am aware that there seems to be some sort of compatibility issue with some add-ons, such as the TomTom GPS kits. Not sure exactly why, just something I picked up last week when I was thining hard about getting the mio.

The mio can be used with tom tom using an add-on car kit, and there are a range of universal keyboards too. All in all, I'd say th emio is a bit of a bargain. I was in two minds about the usage I'd get from it, but I will use it for remote functions, as an mp3 player,and general amusement when on longer train/plain journeys. Personally, for £130 I don't think you can beat it.

Hope this helps your decision,
    Tony

6. nathsea

nathsea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    tonyb,

just a quick bump for this, how are you getting on with the Mio? any problems as yet, and would you still recommend??

Anyone else care to suggest a cheap PDA to use as a Remote?

many thanks

Nathan

7. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Not a suggestion for a PDA but people might want to try Total Remote 2 as remote software. Sadly its not yet compatible with my 2210 consumer IR but the company (griffin technologies) is throwing money at it until they get it right, at the moment it seems that they are. Its certainly worth giving it at try as it does come across as a much better programme than pdawin which is gettting a bit long in the tooth IMO.

Check it out at www.griffintechnology.com

8. tonyb

tonyb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Nathsea,

I would still recommend this unit to to those who want a basic pda. Unfortunately, i'm very busy at work at the moment, so finding time to get the .ccf files sorted out has been lacking.

For use as an av remote, I think it's worth the money alone. Then add all the other PDA functions, and using it as an mp3 player. Ok, you may not use the functions, but they are there if you want them.

I've looked at totalremote, but as you say it is only compatible with some devices, so I decided to stay away from that for the moment. Might give it a try anyway though to see what happens.

Tony