1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cheap one for all

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by nig28, Nov 26, 2004.

1. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I just need a remote to replace my old one which is going faulty, but if I buy a five in one will these cheap ones do the job, from Asda/Tesco.
    My TV is a Philips 24pw6006 and a Panasonic VCR about 3 years old, and a old Matsui 14" TV.
    Nigel

2. jaguar

jaguar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. The Robman

The Robman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As with any cheap universal, the only good answer is to try it and see. Having said that, "One For All" (OFA) is a very good brand that comes with lots of codes built in, so you chances are good. Furthermore, many OFA remotes support a feature called "key mover" which lets you program missing buttons using advanced codes.

If you get one of the not-so-cheap upgradeable OFA remotes, if you find that it is missing one or more codes that you need, you can download them from the web or over the phone.

4. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Many thanks for your input, what would be the price difference between the cheap ones and the ones that offer upgrades or support and (which makes).
    Nigel

5. The Robman

The Robman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I understood it, this thread is about "One For All" brand remotes, is that not correct? While I am British, I've been living in the States for the last 16 years, so I have no idea what the local prices are for any of the OFA models. A good model to check out is the URC-7562, this is a 6 device remote with learning that also accepts telephone and web upgrades. Like most mid-range OFA remotes, it's also programmable from your PC using JP1.

In case the upgradeable models available locally are too expensive, you might find that US remotes are cheaper. For example, the URC-8910 - which is an 8 device remote with learning, LCD screen and upgrade modem, is $23 US and shipping to the UK would be $9 US. ($32 is about £17). If you want a JP1 cable, that would be an extra $15.

[EDIT]I just checked the Dixons web site, and they have the URC-7560 (which is pretty much the same as the URC-7562) for £20.

If you've never heard of JP1 before, check it out here...
    http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/

It a home-grown method that you can use to totally customise One For All remotes to make them do just about everything you could possibly want, except walk the dog!