Cheap oakleys... 'too good to be true' = fake?

MaturityDodger

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
They look decent enough to me, but if you have any concerns I'd give them a call (to check it works) with a question about exactly what state the packaging is in (they say external may be damaged, hence reduced price) and pay via credit / visa debit card

...except I just noticed they don't seem to be in stock. :(

Do you have an Oakley outlet nearby at all? I was debating a few online stores and preferred being able to try some on (and glad I did really!). Went to an outlet at Cheshire Oaks and bagged two pairs polarised for £200, which were nigh-on double the price from Oakley themselves.

But for reference, yes, those prices are possible. In fact, it was £67 for polarised Jury's at the outlet - most places online are currently at least double.

Some designs look great online, but look dreadful on my face, so VERY glad to try them on beforehand and then make a decision :)

Do you have an Oakley outlet nearby at all?
no idea - I just did a quick search, and can't find any Oakley outlets. Just shops that sell Oakleys, among other things. What's the actual name of the places you have in mind?

Check Oakleys site for a store/retailer, local to you.

Using their store locator, entered my city's name, a small local opticican to me came up on their site, as a stockist for their glasses/sunglasses, and was surprised that they carried a huge range, more so than Vision Express did, and/or clothes stores, when I looked for them recently.

Sunglasses, Goggles, and Apparel - Oakley Official Site - UK. is the site, use Store Locator at the top.

Got myself a cracking pair of sunglasses, and a pair of Whisker sunglasse frames,glazed in my prescription for every day wear.

Last edited:
Got myself a cracking pair of sunglasses, and a pair of Whisker sunglasse frames,glazed in my prescription for every day wear.
Awesome. Never realised there were quite a few independents near my post code

But do somewhat think contacts > prescription shades, for versatility and avoid carrying indoor glasses aswell (if you can get on with contacts)

Slightly OT, but is it possible to buy Prada sunglasses in Macey's, New York for £30. My sister in law claims that's how much she paid, but I argued (wine fuelled :rolleyes:) that she was talking ****. :D
She said they were 2 seasons old, thus the cheap price.

no idea - I just did a quick search, and can't find any Oakley outlets. Just shops that sell Oakleys, among other things. What's the actual name of the places you have in mind?

They are Official Oakley Outlets. There is one in Cheshire Oaks (M53/M56 interchange) and one in Gunwharf Quays in Portsmouth (or at least there was a few years ago).

Sorry if that's no help, but I am sure there are others too!

Try here also:
http://www.eyewearoutlet.co.uk/sunglasses-c76

Thanks. neither of those are particularly close, but I'll use that to look around.

Also the mention above about somebody getting sunglasses cheap in the US gave me a thought... I have a friend just finished his PhD in the US, and he's coming back in a couple of weeks. I'll see if he can get anything cheap for me.

Bought myself a pair of polarized Straight Jackets.
There was a groupon offer yesterday for an approved Oakley retailer who already appeared to have some of the best prices out there. Came in at £52 with the voucher, so I'm happy with that.

Pity it's now started raining...

They are Official Oakley Outlets. There is one in Cheshire Oaks (M53/M56 interchange) and one in Gunwharf Quays in Portsmouth (or at least there was a few years ago).

Sorry if that's no help, but I am sure there are others too!

Try here also:
Cheap Designer Sunglasses At Up To 60% Off RRP At Eyewear Outlet

Eyewearoutlet is a good place for cheep and genuine oakleys, have have used them a couple of times.

When you see cheep oakleys (providing there are genuine) its usually because they are 1 or 2 seasons old.

Another thumbs up for eyewear outlet here. Their customer service for returns I'd great as well.
I purchased some Oakley's from them recently, but when I tried them on I realised they didn't suit my face and requested a return. It was all very simple to organise and the refund was processed very quickly.

Slightly OT, but is it possible to buy Prada sunglasses in Macey's, New York for £30. My sister in law claims that's how much she paid, but I argued (wine fuelled :rolleyes:) that she was talking ****. :D
She said they were 2 seasons old, thus the cheap price.

very much possible ime - as I know someone who's an optician and I got some specs through her at cost prices...the frames were cheap rrp @ ~55 quid, I paid something like 17 quid, and nikon lenses were rrp 400 and I got the full specs for less than 120 quid :)

and these were this seasons specs bought only a few months ago... :)

America can be bonkers for silly prices.

When I was there, I found Vera Wang shoes for the (now ex) GF, for about $20 reduced, when they were still about 10x that here in the UK. She never wore them once. Pah.

Camera kit is often way better priced too, but then I was there when it was $2:£1 ... :)

That's one avenue where I didn't have any luck. My friend is back from the US now, and he said prices were about the same as the better (but still easily available) offers over here. But mine are due for delivery today - went onto a van at 5:50am.

very much possible ime - as I know someone who's an optician and I got some specs through her at cost prices...the frames were cheap rrp @ ~55 quid, I paid something like 17 quid, and nikon lenses were rrp 400 and I got the full specs for less than 120 quid :)

and these were this seasons specs bought only a few months ago... :)

Is this a valid comparison though? You know an optician who got you the glasses at cost price.
My sister in law was a tourist who just walked into Maceys and picked up Prada sunglasses off the shelf for £30. I still think she was telling me porkies unless anyone can prove me wrong.

Well mine arrived.
And it turns out that I accidentally put the wrong model into my basket! I've got Minute 2.0 instead of straight jackets. (same lenses though - polarized tungsten) :facepalm:
They were the same price though, and I've been offered an exchange. But the only thing steering me away from the minutes is that I heard they were fairly small. I'll give them a good try before cutting the tags off and maybe just keep them.

I've never owned a quality pair of sunglasses before - can anybody just help me confirm they're genuine? I had heard that polarized Oakleys have the word 'polarized' etched into the left lens. I can't see this on mine, but the lenses are definitely polarized (I tested by rotating them in front of an LCD screen). is the etched text always present, and always visible? Or can it be hidden under the frame?
That's the only thing worrying me about them really - the company looks fairly legit from their whois lookup, and from speaking to their customer services.

If anybody has a pair and can provide a photo of the etched text that'd be fantastic. I can't find one online.
I can't see anything printed or etched on my lenses at all.

Both my pairs have the etching, but not all pairs always have done; if it's a couple of seasons old, they might not have done that.

Did you get the Oakleys warranty leaflet etc?

Yep. Got a 1 year warranty leaflet with loads of info on the various lens profiles, a freepost (USA) postcard to join the mailing list, and a card saying that Oakley have the right to repait or replace etc.
These three items are dated 2010, 2011, and 2006 respectively.

They also came with a soft bag (HDO - Oakley high definition optics, bag made in China) and a well-made cardboard box (2012).

Where abouts on the lens should the etching be?

Yep. Got a 1 year warranty leaflet with loads of info on the various lens profiles, a freepost (USA) postcard to join the mailing list, and a card saying that Oakley have the right to repait or replace etc.
These three items are dated 2010, 2011, and 2006 respectively.

They also came with a soft bag (HDO - Oakley high definition optics, bag made in China) and a well-made cardboard box (2012).

Where abouts on the lens should the etching be?

Seek, and ye shall find - here's one I snapped just now:

attachment.php

What colour is your bag? I have a brown one and a black one, both with your descriptions matching :) Does the cardboard box look okay with the right barcodes etc?

Attachments

• DSC_0197.jpg
    DSC_0197.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 1,265

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom