1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap multi remote

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by peterc, Aug 21, 2003.

1. peterc

peterc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all
    I'm looking for a cheap (sub 60quid) multi remote, similar to the top of the range oneforall remote, ie: nothing overly fancy
    Any sugestions...?
    Cheers in advance all

2. brifobwad

brifobwad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Check out Richer Sounds. They were doing the One For All Mosaic for £60.

3. peterc

peterc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cool, i do like the look of that remote as well, but i already have a pda that i could use as well, but the mosaic could be the easier option...

4. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recommend the Mosaic.

I was thinking of a pda too, but the mosaic, although large and not as pretty as a pronto, really does the job very well. Its size makes it easy to find in the dark, it won't slip down into the couch and it's less likely to break if you sit on it...

It has a whole load of codes already installed but can be customised and also learn from other remotes.

You'll need rechargable batteries as this is one hungry beast.

Cheers,
    Cal.

5. peterc

peterc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how is the screen in terms of graphic customability..? and how is it with remotes that have a lot of buttons on them..?

6. peterc

peterc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    also, how long do batteries last..?

7. brifobwad

brifobwad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I advise buying the docking station as a rechargeable battery pack is included with the station.

8. The Robman

The Robman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you would prefer a US model of One For All remote, let me know as I have a few for sale and can ship to the UK. For example, I have the new OFA Kameleon URC-9960 for $69. Postage to the UK would be about $15 for that, which would give you a total of about $85, which translates to about £55.

If you want a cheaper buttoned remote, I also have the URC-8811 and URC-6012 available.

9. chrisF

chrisF
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can the Mosaic be used to control Sky+?

10. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +718
    I had a mosaic remote and used it for about two months. Although I got it set up pretty quickly and found it easy to use I wanted more cusomisability. I sold it on ebay and bought a philips pronto from ebay in america. The pronto cost $100 and a further $20 for delivery to the uk so the total price was £80. This is a much better remote than the mosaic, you can put custom graphics on it, design the screens how you want them and learn all buttons directly from the original remote (mosaic's memory is too small to do this so you have to rely on OFA's database). The pronto comes with pc software so you program it through a pc which makes things easier.
    Also, on the mosaic, the buttons have to be in the grid layed out to you, and all custom buttons have to be a boring old rectangle shape.
    I dont think the mosaic is a bad remote, I just dont think it got the customer support it needed (pc software was meant to be developed but never got off the ground).
    Before ordering the mosiac I would emial or phone OFA and make sure they have codes for all your equipment.
    Hope this is of some help to you.

11. peterc

peterc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for all your help so far guys, i think i'm leaning towards the pronto at the momemnt, and will keep my eyes open for a cheapo one..

12. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The pronto is a much "nicer" remote in many ways - it looks better, has a better screen with grey scale, has more memory, nicer graphics and is totally customisable, BUT it takes a LOT of setting up.

I've had both and the mosaic is literally a hundred times quicker to set up due to the internal codes and is a lot more robust. If you buy it from RS it's at least £40 cheaper and easy to take back if it goes belly up.

I have one as my Pronto stopped working after about a month and Richers had none left in stock. I could have got a neo for another £20 or the Mosaic with a £40 refund.

At first I was disappointed with the mosaic aesthetically but quickly realised it does just as good a job and the ease of set up was a relief.

I think if I was buying now i'd look at a colour palm pilot with a decent 30ft ir range and use Omniremote.

Cheers,
    Cal.

13. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I bought an OFA Mosaic and am very happy with it. Yes, its not as pretty or customisable as a Pronto, but at the price it is a serious contender.

I too quickly ran out of "learn" space, but careful use of the advancded codes (or Key Magic as OFA calls it) can get you around most problems.

The lack of a PC interface is a pain, expecially since they did plan to make one.

14. The Robman

The Robman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's a goofy situation. They intended to make an interface for the Mosaic but never did, whereas on the other hand, they never intended to make an interface for the rest of their remotes, yet now there is one (ie, the JP1 interface).