Cheap multi region DVD recomendations?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Bozza, Oct 16, 2001.

1. Bozza

Bozza
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone recommend a cheap multi region DVD player, I'm not worried about trick play and built in decoders just something that will play R1 discs and is OK quality, Thanks.

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Checkout the Himage DVD-2290, Limit DVD-8080, Alba DVD-113, and Acoustic Solutions DVD-521. These are about the cheapest you'll find at present (Limit 8080 was circa £80 from Richer Sounds), and all perform pretty well, especially in view of the price.

3. Thor

Thor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi, Bozza.
    Check out topic,

cyberhome ADL528 player any info?

on this forum, it's worth a look as this player is cheap and fairly good. :rolleyes:

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're quick, Richer Sounds are selling the Cyber Home ADL228 multi-region player for £79.95! :eek:

5. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Stay away from anything made by Limit. I like the Cyber Home... might make a good Xmas present for someone who keeps unhooking my player to watch my movies!

6. steev

steev
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's wrong with Limit?

I've got an 8080se which was a replacement for the Cyberhome 512 I bought from Richer Sounds. That went wrong after a couple of weeks.

I think the Limit has a better picture quality and it sounds fine through our Pro Logic TV. I haven't tried any other regions yet, but it played some VCDs I made on CDR and CD-RW. If you can get it for under 100 quid it's a steal.

Steve

7. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If you know what you're buying it's fine. Picture quality is fine if you're happy enough with composite video. However, despite my local Richer Sounds' insistence and total fibbing, the Limit JDV338A my mate was conned into buying was crap at playing R1 discs and had no RGB output. Personally I don't see much point in DVD players without RGB. I know some people would argue for S-VHS but it has to be RGB for me.

[ 22-10-2001: Message edited by: pointon ]

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Limit DVD-8080 is a good machine and excellent value at ~£99.

9. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    So's the Cyber Home. Just hope I can get me a silver one, cos he's a fussy bloke.

10. jasper catt

jasper catt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pointon is correct in saying that the Limit DVD players do not output RGB via the scart.I wouldn't have bought the Limit JDV388
    due to it's price,lack of RGB and players available from Philips,Toshiba etc for around the same money.I did buy a Limit 8080se(£90)for use with the 14 in TV in the bedroom after my old VCR died.Compared to VHS the Limit is good and at around the same price as a cheap VCR offers good value for money. It plays R1/R2 dvds and my collection of vcd's without any problems