1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap Multi Region DVD player for PC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by jerkyboy, Apr 6, 2005.

1. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am after a cheap, but half decent DVD player for my PC. I also want to be able to make it multi region.

Can anybody recommend a drive, and please tell me how to make it multi region.

Thanks

2. Dillz

Dillz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Well you can buy a DVD recorder and flash the firmware to make it region free, or you can use software such as DVD Region +CSS Free or region killer.

See;

http://www.dvdidle.com/dvd-region-free.htm

I personally like the NEC 3520 currently £37.01 from Aria.co.uk.

You can get region free firmware for loads of models from;

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php

Bear in mind though that if you flash the firmware and it goes wrong you could screw up the drive. It is quite easy though :)

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    An alternative is AnyDVD, or the FREE version of DVD43.

Flashing drives really isn't needed, the only benefit is that some firmware hacks remove the 'rip lock', a crippling mechanism built into the standard firmware that prevents the drive from reading at greater than 2x speed when it thinks that its' being read by a DVD ripper. If you don't rip DVDs to hard disk, or do so infrequently then IMHO it's dubious whether flashing the drive is worth it.