Cheap motherboard/cpu/RAM bundles

Status
Not open for further replies.

HMHB

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of any decent offers for a motherboard/cpu/RAM bundle? I'm probably going to make use of my old 8800GTX graphics card, an old case and a 650 PSU to make an XP machine that I can play simcity and C&C3 on.

It will be cheaper to buy the three items separately and you will get to choose the parts you want

Anyone know of any decent offers for a motherboard/cpu/RAM bundle? I'm probably going to make use of my old 8800GTX graphics card, an old case and a 650 PSU to make an XP machine that I can play simcity and C&C3 on.
What's your budget?

Happy birthday as well :)

What's your budget?

Happy birthday as well :)

Cheers :) I'm trying to keep smiling through hitting the 50 barrier :eek:

I don't want to spend an awful lot to be honest as it won't be my main gaming machine, it will just be used in the bedroom when I can't sleep. So maybe about £150 to £200-ish for the CPU Motherboard and 4GB RAM.

Looking at the top end of the budget you're looking at an i3-2100 (1155) or i3-540 (1156) or on the AMD side a quad core Athlon II or maybe a Phenom II x4 or stretching to an x6. Moving down to the lower end of the budget you more into the Phenom II x2 or Athlon II x2/x3 area.

Something like this isn't bad but the mobo is quite limited on future expansion.
Again, with this you're limited on expansion but moving £205 and Intel with this you get quite a bit for your money.
Down to £144 and seems to be the same board as the OcUK system: CCL Ace Pronto Motherboard Bundle - CCL Computers. Going back up to the top end of the budget gives you an i3-540 w/ 4GB of memory or an i3-2100 w/ 2GB of memory.
Ebuyer don't seem to compete with their AMD bundles being £144 for a dual core with 2GB of memory or £250 for a hex core with 4GB. I didn't see any Intel bundles on their site.
Scan don't have anything for your price range - their cheapest bundle was nearly £200 ex. VAT.

Have you had a look around at the classifieds/how much it would cost for you to pick a mobo, CPU and some memory separately?

That i3-540 looks very tempting. It should be OK with the games I want to play and if I get fed up with the 8800GTX I'm going to use I can always get a new graphics card.

overclocker uk

Components» Processors» Intel Home & Office Bundles

i3 on here under £200

» Systems & Bundles» Overclocked Bundles

if you are in to overclocking

Sounds like a pretty good bet, it keeps up with the i3-2100 pretty well: AnandTech - Bench - CPU

The computer that I was using as my main gaming machine with the 8800GTX was a very old AMD Opteron so this i3 should be quite a bit better than that. That old computer ran all the games I wanted to play OK.

Actually I've just realised that the i3 I was looking at is on the older Socket 1156 so I might be better going for one of the newer ones for future chip upgrade potential. I do find the new Socket numberings very confusing :D

It will be best to close this thread now I think as I've started a new one in the Gaming forum here

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom