1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap MiniDV Camcorder - are these any good?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by spib, Sep 7, 2005.

1. spib

spib

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Howdy,

I'm off on holiday in a few weeks and I was considering hiring a camcorder for the trip but I've decided it's probably cheaper to buy one.

So anyway, i checked out Amazon and they have a JVC GR-D33 for about £170 delivered. Seems a bit too good to be true. Is this camera any good? Otherwise folks seem to like the Sony DCR-HC22E

I guess what I'm asking is can i get away with just buying the JVC or should I pay twice as much for the Sony? My only requirements is that it has digital video out via USB or firewire and a decent night-vision mode.

Can someone please help? I'm starting to get a headache :)

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Well I've no experience with JVC cams, but have had a couple of Sony cams and they have always been very reliable and good quality. I have seen several posts regarding the quality of JVC cams though that have been less than good. Have a read of This thread as a good example.

Mark.

3. spib

spib

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for your response, very helpful. I nearly always buy Sony usually but I didn't really want to be shelling out a lot of money but I guess it's the smart thing to do