Cheap media player required

Talgo

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Can anyone recommend a small cheap media player / streaming box to suit this please... to use in my motorhome connected via HDMI to a small 1080p TV.. would like to be able to use it when there is no mobile signal or WiFi.. (also when there is) would like to play rips and stuff I have downloaded from Netflix, Disney+ and Prime Video.. I currently use a fire stick connected to my phone via hotspot but that's no good when off line.. 12v operation would be handy and I will attach a hdd ..

Possibly a raspberry pi would be a good choice, dead easy to power from USB, if suggest a portable SSD (or SATA SSD in a suitable enclosure)

You say you're using a phone for internet access when streaming, what phone is it?

My Huawei Mate 20Pro works very well on a TV when plugged in via a USB-C to HDMI lead or adapter.

My phone offers both a straight forward screen mirror mode which worked for Netflix, Prime and Discovery+ (I haven't tried Disney+) and it also had a cool desktop mode with the phone bring used as a touchpad and keyboard that worked very well for most but not all apps (specifically not Netflix) but worked really well for MX Player or VLC for local files and most other catch up apps. When using desktop mode you can even minimise the control app and still use the phone apps normally at the same time.

Might be worth checking what your phone can do before buying new hardware.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom