Cheap media player for crimbo

gavtheskav

Standard Member
Can anyone recommend a cheap media player that I can connect a hdd via USB. Must be full hd and have a digital optical output. Play a wide range of formats including mkv. And 5.1 and dts

paulmcp2403

I have seen one of these "DGM 3D Full HD Media Player" on eBay for £26. Anyone got one?

yeah I noticed it as well....says full 1080p 3d....then shows you a picture of an old red / green set of 3d glasses ??? *** ???:thumbsdow:thumbsdow

gavtheskav

Standard Member
Yeah. Not at all interested in 3D though. (who is?). I've ordered one, worth a punt. Ideally wanted wdtv but those are selling 2nd hand on eBay for over £50. Still holding there price well.

paulmcp2403

Yeah. Not at all interested in 3D though. (who is?). I've ordered one, worth a punt. Ideally wanted wdtv but those are selling 2nd hand on eBay for over £50. Still holding there price well.

I see you are new to these forums....there are plenty of people on these forums interested in 3d :smashin:

Marco1

Standard Member
the new xtreamer prodigy is epic, xtreamer.ie have the first one just "sidewinder" for like 70 quid, very good product too, failing that xbox :)

paulmcp2403

the new xtreamer prodigy is epic, xtreamer.ie have the first one just "sidewinder" for like 70 quid, very good product too, failing that xbox :)

Err epic is hardly a word I'd use ....no media jukebox....poor forum support....very little firmware updates...hardly epic...:smashin:

paulmcp2403

mate for £40 get one of these - futeko.com - Bluetimes Coopa TV001

it plays full 7.1 sound but also downmixes .....also reads most drive fomats including hfs+ ( I just checked htis even though it does not mention it on the site). Plays virtually every format....its basic in function , but like me you want it to play everything !

MrBThatsMe

Standard Member
I just ordered the Cyclone Micro 2+. Same price as the DGM and I'd imagine similar inside. All reviews said it was a bargain other than the remote which can be replaced with a universal. I'd really like one that handles real 3D though. I was hoping this would do it but after reading some posts on here it seems very unlikely.. If the Cyclone is good for all other media though, it will surely encourage my parents to buy a better media player in the future (it's not for me!).

I don't want to hijack the thread since the OP said he has no interest in 3D, but is it common for 3D MKV's to be unsupported or do the more expensive players with regular updates do the job ok?

paulmcp2403

mate for £40 get one of these - futeko.com - Bluetimes Coopa TV001

it plays full 7.1 sound but also downmixes .....also reads most drive fomats including hfs+ ( I just checked htis even though it does not mention it on the site). Plays virtually every format....its basic in function , but like me you want it to play everything !

Just got this yesterday....and guess what....it plays everything
...and I mean even MAC format drives ....and 3d mkv files !

MrBThatsMe

Standard Member
Just got this yesterday....and guess what....it plays everything
...and I mean even MAC format drives ....and 3d mkv files !

Hmmm.. if possible could you try it with a range of 3D files that were maybe encoded using different codecs etc? I may consider sending my cyclone back if yours does indeed handle 3D files without a problem.. :thumbsup:

paulmcp2403

Hmmm.. if possible could you try it with a range of 3D files that were maybe encoded using different codecs etc? I may consider sending my cyclone back if yours does indeed handle 3D files without a problem.. :thumbsup:

Aye...I,ll system test it for you.....NOT....basically I get my files from a variety of sources...and all I know is they are wmv, mkv, etc....not got a clue about codecs but I do know they are varied...suppose what I'm saying is give it a go for £40....they have a 7day return policy....
:thumbsup:

Last edited:

MrBThatsMe

Standard Member
I've actually just had a huge amount of luck with the 3D bluray player that we have. I formatted my 16GB USB stick in exFAT and threw on a 720P MKV as well as a 1080P 3D MKV - both full movies, and it plays them without a hitch! I don't have any other 3D movies to try but if it plays them I'll have no need for another media player :)

thedotlal

I've actually just had a huge amount of luck with the 3D bluray player that we have. I formatted my 16GB USB stick in exFAT and threw on a 720P MKV as well as a 1080P 3D MKV - both full movies, and it plays them without a hitch! I don't have any other 3D movies to try but if it plays them I'll have no need for another media player :)

Want to share with us what your bluraw player is? ;)

gavtheskav

Standard Member
Just a quick update. Sent it back! You couldn't turn the subtitles off. Didn't play a lot of my mkv files. Slow and unresponsive. Full refund off ebuyer given. Going to get a wdtv instead

thedotlal

Just a quick update. Sent it back! You couldn't turn the subtitles off. Didn't play a lot of my mkv files. Slow and unresponsive. Full refund off ebuyer given. Going to get a wdtv instead

Aww just ordered mine earlier today, I'll see if I can cancel the order.

paulmcp2403

It really was awful.

Try the coopa over at futeko ....for £40 it plays almost everything....including 3d sbs ....also down mixes and plays full 7.1 sound....and every drive format including ntfs, fat.32 hfs+....oh and its lightening fast....reads a whole 2tb drive in. Seconds !

MrBThatsMe

Standard Member
Want to share with us what your bluraw player is? ;)

I'll have to get back to you on that one. It's not actually mine this was all for my parents sake.. it's a Panasonic 3D player that they got bundled with their TV at Richer sounds just over a month ago. The total price of the two, with 2 pairs of glasses was £900 (on a special offer) if that's any sort of indication for now. I'll get back once I know the exact model as I don't live that close to them. For the record, The TV doesn't play the files.. the blu-ray player appears to be leaps and bounds ahead of the TV in that regard. If I remember rightly, SD cards didn't seem nearly as compatible as my 16GB usb stick... I'm not sure why.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Amazon Music fully available on Android TV and Google TV platforms
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony announces A90J UK/EU price and March availability
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 27th February 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M3x Vinyl phono stage