Cheap MCE extender, not an Xbox 360

Interesting but cannot see how it fully works.

Does it just need to be on the same network as the MCE machine like a proper Extender ? Why say 25 feet away?

Also it says normal TVs which implies low res and no good going to other non SD TVs (LCDs etc).

This doesn't sound very good at all!

"it needs to be within 25 feet of the MCE", er why?
Does this mean it uses its own cable and not cat 5e etc.
This makes it sound like you might as well just have a really long scart lead or
DVI cable etc. to your TV and save the 100 euros.
It doesn't sound like a networked device like the XBOX at all.

Of course I could be completely wrong!

Pete

This is not an extender in the strictest sense, as the connection is not ethernet - it is a TV-out connection. You could say this device is a 'sender'.

regards,
Paul

It's good to see that other companies are trying to address the issue of there being no neat, decent MCE extender. But this doesn't look like the product I'm waiting for.

I'm hoping someone will do a decent one with a DVI/HDMI output. Or one built into an LCD monitor.

This is why I have 3 MCE PCs!

WheresMyArtisan said:
It's good to see that other companies are trying to address the issue of there being no neat, decent MCE extender.

There is. Its an Xbox 360. It works straight out of the box, does what it says on the tin. The picture quality is a great improvement on the v1 extenders too (I have MCX for Xbox on another TV), even though the connection is analogue (I'm watching through RGB Scart).

Though but, Microsoft have I think really handicapped a decent bit of kit by not allowing xvid support (there is a workaround by using Transcode 360), and by disabling the digital out pins. I do hope the rumoured HDMI dongle happens!

regards,
Paul

peter_betts said:
This doesn't sound very good at all!

"it needs to be within 25 feet of the MCE", er why?

Wireless maybe ?

According to a Media Centre podcast I was listerning to the other day (Ian Dixon), cheap media centre extenders are in the pipline so watch this space.

Apartently they are due out within the next 6 months or so and the technology will be licensed to OEMs for integration purposes (ie it'll be easy to just buy a TV with an integrated MCE built in !).

nice!

For the life of me I just cant understand why microsoft has again neglected to include xvid/divx support on the xbox360, why exclude a function that the main mce pc has, it just doesnt make sense. I could understand it if mce didnt support divx full stop but it does. Main reason I'm not buying a 360 is the lack of divx support , I'll just stick with my xbox in the bedroom running xbmc .

fallwood said:
For the life of me I just cant understand why microsoft has again neglected to include xvid/divx support on the xbox360, why exclude a function that the main mce pc has, it just doesnt make sense. I could understand it if mce didnt support divx full stop but it does. Main reason I'm not buying a 360 is the lack of divx support , I'll just stick with my xbox in the bedroom running xbmc .

True but remember its only been out a few months and I am sure theres lots planned for the 360 over the next 6 / 12 months. Annoying thing is that alot of these features will be introduced via a Live update that Microsoft dont really tell us EXACLY what is changing.

fallwood said:

Im looking to figure out what "extender" solution to go for. Is it worth buying on old USA Xbox (im I correct in thinking the Xtender app wont run on a UK xobx) on ebay and using this purely as a video sender for the bedroom?

I want live and recorded tv, other videos and DVD. Does it do the job adequatley ? Running my LAN to the bedroom isnt a problem, and I have an LCD with all the inputs.

One other question, is there a way of "entending" the IR reciever away from the Xbox console? - The reason I ask is that as my LCD is wall mounted, I would want the cosole in a cupboard, but from what i can see the IR reciever is in a game port and this would mean having the entire console hung on the wall !

Thanks

gphillips said:
One other question, is there a way of "entending" the IR reciever away from the Xbox console? - The reason I ask is that as my LCD is wall mounted, I would want the cosole in a cupboard, but from what i can see the IR reciever is in a game port and this would mean having the entire console hung on the wall !

Hmm - Has anyone tried connecting the Microsoft IR receiver that connects to your PC to the XBOX360 ? If it works then this could be the answer !

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom