Cheap manual screen that can have speaker behind it?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by MacReady, Feb 4, 2009.

1. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Does anyone know of any reasonable, cheap manual screens ( 6' or 7' ideally ) that use acoustically transparent cloth? Or are pretty much all screens acoustically transparent?

I want to add a screen to my current set up but we are in a rented house at the moment so I dont want to go wild or anything. I already have a Sanyo Z3 that came from my old set up and is just being stored away but we have decided to get some use out of it for the next Year whilst we are in the house and then do a 'proper' job when we get our own house next Year.

This thread shows how the room looks (scroll down) and you can see that the Kef centre is going to be up high and behind the screen when in use so I don want anything that is going to cause major problems for the sound coming out of it.

Does anyone have any suggestions about screens I could use for this. As I say, I dont want to spend too much at the moment as this is not a permanent job so a reasonable 16:9 pull down screen that does the job will be good enough for now......as long as I can hear the speaker :D

2. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    No one have any ideas/suggestions?

As this is just a temp setup I have considered just getting one of the cheap screens from Ebay......but will having the speaker behind it actually make a big difference in the sound coming from it and how we hear it?

Surely some will be able to get through the screen?

3. markswift2003

markswift2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Unfortunately I don't think you're going to find a cheap acoustically transparent screen.

In the good old days, acoustically transparent screens were simply perforated as most were used with CRT projectors.

These days with most projectors being LCD/LCOS/DLP and derivatives thereof, and therefore having a perceptible pixel structure, however small and however well hidden, perforated screens will tend to give a moire effect and are therefore generally not acceptable.

The alternative is a weaved screen with kind of a depth to the weave (difficult to describe unless you see it!) so the sound gets through but the screen presents an unbroken reflective surface to the light falling on it. To give a flat acoustic response across the band, this incurs a manufacturing overhead translating to more cost for the end user. Screen Research are are probably one of the best and cost effective manufacturers of these screens, but they're not cheap.

Solid screens are really a no-go to put speakers behind because you will lose so much of the mid-high response and not in a linear fasion either, BUT - from what you're saying, with this being a temporary setup and all, I personally think it's worth a go as long as you don't spend too much on the screen and don't expect too much in terms of high fidelity - so your idea of a cheapy from Ebay sounds like the way to go.

Don't know what amp you have, but it's probably got some form of acoustic setup routine which will help to a degree depending how good your speakers are etc..

All things considered, definately worth a go...

Mark

4. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Thanks so much for the reply Mark,

I suppose I kind of already knew what the answer was going to be but needed it spelt out for me by somone who knew what they were talking about ;-)

As you say, seeing as this is just a cheapo temp setup I may as well go for a screen from Ebay that will complement the kit and house we have at the moment and, at least, enjoy some big screen entertainment for the next Year. Then, when we get a place of our own we can do what we really want and sink a good quality motorised screen into the ceiling and get a 1080p projector.

The amp and speakers are just budget items as well at the moment ( Onkyo 606 and Kef 2005.2's ) but, as you say, the amp does have a room calibration mode so I can set it up using that to get the best out of it possible with the screen down ( suppose it will make it sound a bit bright when just using the TV then...but hey ;-).

Again, the amp and probably the speakers will be changed when we move as I need to get an amp with two hdmi outs as the 606 only has one.

Thanks again for the help and advice. Much appreciated.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  5. markswift2003

markswift2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    No worries at all - get the screen, get it up and start enjoying it.

Then start making plans (and a shopping list) for the future :clap: