• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Cheap Mac

TurksMeister

I want to learn to code an iphone app, and understand this has to be done on a mac. Does anyone know the least powerful (or cheapest!) machine I would need to buy to allow this? I already have a screen, keyboard etc, so assume the mini is the way to go?

Cheeers

D

Deleted member 171211

A mini would probably be your best bet. Have a look in the Apple refurb store for recent Intel one, but bear in mind a refresh is imminent.

dc8900

Distinguished Member
I'm pretty sure the mid range (2.53ghz, 4GB etc) is powerful enough but I think the entry maybe also. Hopefully, someone can confirm this, in terms of price, brand new, the base model is £510 and the one I mentioned £663, saying that have a look in the forums classifieds or on the bay where you can pick up a mac for a really good price :thumbsup:

D

Deleted member 171211

The reason I mentioned the refresh is that it may lead to more of the older models appearing on the refurb store at a better price. :smashin:

dc8900

Distinguished Member
as fat jez mentions, if you are willing to wait and want a brand new(ish) machine for a good price, wait to see if the mac mini refresh is as confirmed then hopefully Apple will shift some of the current generation to the refurb store :thumbsup:

TurksMeister

Many thanks for the replies. I am looking for as cheap as possible, whether new or used (I am a pc man through and through, and not a coder, so this is a bit of a long shot!)

What is the refesh? New range? What sort of time frame is this?

I am taking it as given that my PC keyboard and screen are mac compatible - is this wise? I also assume my mouse wont be due to the one click button thing... can anyone shed some light?

Many thanks :)

dc8900

Distinguished Member
Many thanks for the replies. I am looking for as cheap as possible, whether new or used (I am a pc man through and through, and not a coder, so this is a bit of a long shot!)

What is the refesh? New range? What sort of time frame is this?

I am taking it as given that my PC keyboard and screen are mac compatible - is this wise? I also assume my mouse wont be due to the one click button thing... can anyone shed some light?

Many thanks :)

as far as I am aware, the new mac mini will have a HDMI port (this is kinda big as mac mini has a cult following as a HTPC) and also generally speed boosts etc

If cheap as possible, try getting a 2.0 GHZ core2duo mac mini they sell about 300 I think in the forums and the bay or 1.83GHZ core2duo (£260-275). As at least you will have a 64bit capable machine, if the iphone SDK does work on the older generation, then the mac mini 1.66GHZ core duo range is a good bet, they generally go for about 200 quid.

and lol, double click works! I am using my mac with a microsoft keyboard comfort curve 2000 and a Microsoft Mouse IntelliExplorer something. So don't worry, your peripherals will work :thumbsup:

dc8900

Distinguished Member
also, I was looking on the bay (after a second mac mini myself for the tv) and I saw current generation mac minis (2.26 core2duo) go for about 400, so that is always a bonous

but as I am no expert on requirement for the sdk, anyone know?

D

Deleted member 171211

refresh is almost certainly imminent, as current orders have delayed delivery times and many places are showing out of stock. The refresh will probably take the Mini to a similar spec as the Macbook, in terms of CPU, graphics and RAM, so you'll possibly find bargains on the refurb store as Apple dump unsold stock (but you get a machine in brand new condition).

TurksMeister

Cheers chaps - great answers... will probs hold off for the refurbs, as warranty would be good.

If my app makes it big, and makes me a multi millionaire... I will make sure I add "Thanks" to all your posts!

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom