Cheap(ish) USB media player required. Advice please.

EliteStu

I have a Dune D1 myself and very happy indeed with it :smashin:

My brother in law is unwell and likely to be house-bound for a quite a while. He loves films, so I was thinking of buying him a media player of some sort and providing him with an external HDD with a load of my MKV's on.

If budget wasn't an issue, I would probably buy a Dune for him and a NAS, but I just need something of reasonable quality, cheap-ish and easy to use. I don't need network features as I'll give/lend him an external USB drive with everything on that he needs.

I know I can buy those cheapo Sumvision type devices for £25+ but I have read so many mixed reviews about reliability and software bugs. I'd rather shell out a bit more and get something which has quality software and just plays any file simply (like my Dune!). So I don't mind spending £50 ish on the player or a bit more. I also don't want the hassle of phone calls to help with technical issues.

I had a look at the Mede8er range and the MED400X2s looks good for the money. I didn't want to spend quite the much, so what else is there out there of similar quality for a bit less money please? Or any other products that compete with Mede8er?

Cheers,
Stu

EliteStu

Sorry, missed some crucial info...

- Must have optical audio output and HDMI
- Needs to have a remote control
- Ideally should have built in video wall

next010

Distinguished Member
I'd say a WDTV Live if you pay a little more circa £70, easy to use and reliable, HDMI/optical and it does have a basic video wall with wireless built in.

EliteStu

I'd say a WDTV Live if you pay a little more circa £70, easy to use and reliable, HDMI/optical and it does have a basic video wall with wireless built in.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll take a look :cool:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom