Cheap IR RC Helicopters

Discussion in 'General Tech & Gadget Forums' started by eob, Feb 21, 2013.

1. eob

eob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +472
    My twins got a couple of these for their birthday last week.
    They are only the small ones and they can't control them but me and their big brother have been having a great time.

My question is to anyone with experience of Helis, is this.
    Although we can pilot them round the room with some degree of success, they will not go into a steady hover, the best we can get is a tight circle.
    My eldest has said that he would fancy one for his birthday. Looking at Modelzone, there seems to be 3 channel ones available with Gyro in the title. From You Tube they seem to be a lot more stable and accomplish the hover.
    These ones come in around the £25 mark, then they go up to £60, then hundreds.
    Can anyone advise what the difference in price brings and where the beginner should aim?

Cheers.

2. flightphoto

flightphoto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I'll give you some much needed advice :)

When they mention Gyro it's complete rubbish! They're referring to the flybar that causes inertia to add a gyroscopic effect but not a true heli Gyro! I would actually recommend buying a mini quad copter as they now sell for around £40 ready to fly and these have true flight controllers which will hold the hover position. I'll copy in some links once I get home bud :)

3. eob

eob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +472
    Ah. See, that's how they get ye.
    TBH I fully expected that 'gyro' on the packaging would imply stabilized by a gyro chip.
    Nice one, thanks.

4. flightphoto

flightphoto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Exactly! They're very inferior and will do ok ish indoors. I would suggest leaving the larger proper heli's for a while as they are a lot harder than you think and blades will become expensive due to crashes while a quad copter will cost pennies to replace a prop! Go on google and look for Als Hobbies, i remember he had a mini quad on the front page, get the model name and do a quick google shopping search and it will be cheaper :)

Make sure to buy plenty of batteries!

5. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    Flying in a circle suggests you need to adjust the small rotary control that evens out the speed of the 2 rotors. This is normally located in the centre of the remote.

My 10 year old daughter has one of these mini helicopters, and it has helped her to learn to fly my bigger co-ax and FP beasts. she learned to fly hers in about an hour, starting with small hops, low hovers and then flying around obstacle courses. She can now lay out sheets of A4 paper around her bedroom and take off and land on each in turn, putting in trips under chairs and even her bed for extra points!