Cheap imports

P

paiger

I have just bought a Sony 1080 amp from the Sony Centre in my town, looking to take advantage of Barclaycards price promise to get the same price as an internet store but with the free 3 year warranty.

On unpacking my amp, I have noticed a red sticker on the front which says 'UK tuned'. This confirms that there are different set ups for euroland and the UK and if you buy off the net you will most likely end up with a euro one.

I have heard this before, with euro amps set up to be milder in sound. Can anyone shed anymore light on this subject?

S

I have heard something very similar - which I have no idea how true it is, or not. Maybe one of 'The Elders' can answer.:devil:

I heard that Internet bought Denon 3802's with cheap prices (in respect to when they first come out) where probably imports. Imports that ultimately have a less hefty power transformer inside and ultimately less power and quality of sound delivery.

It could all be garbage and it would be really nice if someone could quantity this as being true or a myth.

The UK is a relatively small market and it wouldn't make sense for a major manufacturer to upgrade components just for the UK market as we like to think that we have better ears than continentals.

As a previous buyer of personally imported cars from Japan I have heard all of these scare stories before and most of them are rubbish

I wasn't implying that superior components would be used, that would be impossible as Ian says.

I remember a few years back my brother bought HK Pro Logic reciever and there was a big fuss at the time that the UK models were tuned differently and sounded 'better' than euro models.

As I say, I have no idea if it's true and I'm not implying that my 1080 is superior to an internet bought one, I just wondered if there was indeed a difference in the sound.

Anyway, it'll help when I come to flog it on Ebay in a years time. I remember selling a Toyota Celica once and putting 'rare square headlamp model' in the ad. They went crazy over it. Thing is, they all had square headlamps........

S

sony uk tuned products have input from eric kingdon-sonys uk technical manager it's not just marketing hype. he also had some audio parts changed on the uk sony ns900 dvd player-they do not always put a red badge on or even publicise it. a few years ago kenwood did something similar with one of their av amps. apparently the germans prefer a slower heavier bass than we do.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom