Cheap home cinema speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Jon B, Feb 26, 2001.

1. Jon B

Jon B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm just starting out and am about to get a s/hand Sherwood R125 Pro-Logic Receiver to be used with my Tosh SD100 DVD player and Philips 24W6005 w/screen TV. I know this level of kit is way below most of yours, but has anyone got any recommendations of suitable cheap speakers to use? I also want to use the system for CD playing as it should be better than using my PC!

Thanks,
    Jon

2. Mark P

Mark P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if your talking 'cheap cheap' why not try the SCHNEIDER HC-1 Speaker pacage. consists of 2 fronts, 2 rears and a centre speaker. (see this months home cinema mag-p86) and for £130 must be a great starter package. these are available from your local ASDA.

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    How cheap is cheap? For GBP400 I would tend to look towards Tannoy Mercury (or Mx) series. Can do for less if you opt for bookshelf speakers as fronts.

4. McBain

McBain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What about the Mission Cinema 6 combo. Haven't heard them myself, but get good reviews. Looking at about £350 mail order...

5. Jon B

Jon B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Thanks for the advice. The room it's going to be used in is only a small bedroom, so I was thinking of using bookshelf speakers at the front as I think floorstanders might dominate the room both sonically and visually. What do you think? Am I right in thinking that Pro-Logic works the rears less than the digital formats so I can get away with lesser speakers at the rear? I think the missions might be a bit much for me as they cost about four times the new cost of the amp.

Jon

6. Jon B

Jon B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hyperfi have got some very cheap Yamaha and Pioneer centre/surround speaker packages (less than £50 cheap!) advertised in What Hifi that are presumably old, obsolete stock. I think the Yamaha surrounds are E103s (not got mag with me). Has anyone got any experience with this level of kit? I was thinking of putting my very limited student resources into the front l/r speakers as, if I'm also going to be listening to music, these should be the most important ones. Am I right about that?

Thanks,
    Jon

7. Greyhound

Greyhound
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you considered the Videologic all in packages? About £250 for the DD version and £370 for the DD/DTS version. The speakers are small but powerful for their size.

8. Jon B

Jon B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,I did think about the Videologic stuff, but this receiver came up really cheap so I bought it. Also I thought that they might sound a bit too much like copmputer kit as that's what Videologic make mostly. Or at least that's where I came across them.