1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cheap home cinema amp?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by MikeKay1976, Feb 25, 2005.

1. MikeKay1976

MikeKay1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,588
    Hi

i was going to order a Denon AVR-1705 amp however I am on a budget, & have spotted a Jvc RX6042 for a mere 99 quid in richersounds.

it means i could get that, Yamaha NSP100 speakers & a pio DP575A & have enough change from £300 for a few beers.

My lounge is only small, so i dont need the best sound quality so i was wondering if anyone can give me their views on this amp?.

i would be wanting to hook my xbox (5.1 sound) DVD player (5.1) Sky plus (?) & PS2 (pro logic II) up to it. I think it has enough inputs on it.

i look forward to your4 thoughts of anyone who has the JVC amp, & if there is any reason why i should pay the extra £90 for the Denon then please explain.

cheers

M.

2. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    If you want to save money pick up a receiver 2nd hand from the forums. I have no experience of the JVC or the Denon but I'd bet a fair bit the Denon will sound significantly better.

3. Pacha

Pacha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have no experience of JVC amps but i can tell you that the Denon 1705 is excellent at the price. Me and my brother bought one for my Dad as a present to drive his Bose AM10 speakers (£800 worth of speakers) and it sounds lovely. He is delighted and i am very impressed as well. (And i 've spent a small fortune on the 3805 amp/B&W PV1 sub/Kef speakers etc etc in my set up! Wouldn't swap it for the world but my Dad's does sound excellent)

You wouldn't be dissapointed but go and have a listen to them both and make your own mind up. I appreciate where your coming from with regards to the outlay involved with this sort of gear. (Personally though i'd sacrifice the few beers!!) :smashin:

4. 2morex

2morex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mike: it's very simple algebra: CA=PS cheap amp equals poor sound. Go with some used stuff, I have always been satisfied and end up with better sonics. I do not think you will be happy with either of your choices in the long run. Good luck in your hunt.

5. MikeKay1976

MikeKay1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,588
    cheers for your thoughts guys, if anyone isupgrading their stuff & have it to sell pm me :)

sorry for all the questions, but am planning on getting a lot of gear over the next fewm months so need to save as much cahs as possible but end upo with the right gear.

6. Pacha

Pacha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Recently sold my Denon 2802 amp for £200!

7. MikeKay1976

MikeKay1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,588
    good for youu ;)

anyone else owt for sale?

am after 5.1 or better with ideally 3 digital ouputs

(i dont know a huge amount but am guessing 1 for sky 1 for dvd & 1 for xbox)

silver would be great but i am flexible

8. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +784
    MikeKay - there is a complete forum dedicated to sales & wanted's - why not have a look through at whats on offer or put a new wtd thread on there? - I would recommend putting a ball park figure on a wanted thread as different people can have very different interpritations for 'cheap' or 'good' etc

9. dingbat_stew

dingbat_stew
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've got a Denon AVR-1705 and it sounds brilliant with my setup:
    Eltax Concept 400 Front
    Wharfedale Diamond 8+ Centre
    Wharfedale DFS-18 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-10 Sub (all thanks to this site!!)

It's got all the inputs you need and enough surround sound modes to keep you happy including 5/6/7 channel stereo, Dolby Pro-Logic 2 Music&Cinema!!

Well i'm happy with it for £180 so i hope yo find it helpful!

10. MikeKay1976

MikeKay1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,588
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi

ok everyone thanks for the advice, the denon it is, i have just ordered it now.

as for the correct forum to check for gear for sale, you wont believe this, but i only noticed there was a proper classified section here today DOH!!!

now some peaker advice, i know that they are far from the best, but what they are is cheap, & as i am about to embark on a new central heating boiler & also need to sort out the picture on my screen by hooking up my PC to it with a sweetspot card.... not cheap but worth it i think for good quality sky, DVD PS2 & xbox!. i just want a tide me over set of speakers. & i would like to go for the Yamaha NSP100 unless you can reccomend another 5.1 set inc sub for less than 100 notes. (these are 80 quid at RS)

the thing is i see they are 100watt & have an impedence of 6 ohms, & am not certain but i think the Denon is 8 ohms.

can anyone confirm whether these speakers will work ok with the Denon 1705 amp

cheers

M

p.s i know this isnt the speaker part of the forum, but i thought it better ot to start yet another new thread :)

cheers for your help

M.

11. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    Those speakers will work ok with the denon, they are budget ones though so you may find your self wanting to upgrade before long especialy if your viewing this forum or reading some AV/HiFi mags. It can really give you the urge to upgrade.
    I would recomend getting the yams now if thats what you can afford then in the future go for one of the award winning budget/mid range packs for between £400-800 or even something like the cantons.

Your best bet is to ask on the speaker forum, saying what you have to spend and what amp/system your going to use it with, and what you will use it for music/home cinema.

12. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Denon A/V mps are rated from 6-12 Ohms.

13. guido

guido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    If you can stretch... have a look at the Energy Take 5.2 speakers.. you can pick these up ex-demo cheaply. They are superb! I reckon better than Kef Eggs :thumbsup: Check out Sevenoaks Stock Clearance. They have some listed at £200!!! (although doesnt say if this includes the S8.2 Sub). 2 years ago these were £750!! Reviewed last here.