1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap high quality screen material?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by cyberheater, Jul 9, 2003.

1. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    I'm using blackout blind material at the mo and it seems quite good. However, I would like to buy good quality screen material that doesn't cost a fortune.

Can anyone give me some links.

Cheers.

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
  3. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
  4. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Thanks guys. drhscreens seem reasonably cheap.

5. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    I got some 1.2 gain material to replace my blackout cloth screen from www.ellie.co.uk, but I think they've since put the prices up. :(

Gary.

6. mjones0

mjones0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With the PVC material, like the 1.2 gain white stuff from elite.co.uk, do you stretch it over the screen as you do with blackout material, or do you just glue it to the frame?

Assuming you just glue it, does that mean you only need enough material to cover the frame, or is it best to order more to glue to the sides as well as to the front?

Finally, again assuming you glue it to the frame, would 1.75’’ wood be sufficiently wide to glue it?

Sorry for all the questions, but all the guides I’ve found seem to be for making a screen with blackout material and I thought it might be different for PVC material.

Thanks for any answers you can offer.

7. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    For attaching the screen material to the frame use some strong velcro or industrial stuff. This gives you some flexability with stretching it. The velcro will need sewing to the screen material and can be glued or stapled etc to the frame.

8. mjones0

mjones0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like a good idea. I'll have to get some velcro.

Did you meen to say the velcro should be scrued to the frame and stapled to the screen? I can't really see how you could screw some velcro to the screen material.

Thanks.

9. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    I've used velcro with blackout blind material for light control purposes and I found that using a cheap hotmelt glue gun was a great way of permanently attaching the velcro to the material.

10. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    For both the blackout cloth and screen material, I just stretched the cloth over the frame, and stapled it to the back of the frame.

Neither showed any signs of tearing, but I didn't go mad with the stretching.

HTH

Gary.

11. mjones0

mjones0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was hoping staples would be good for screen material. I think I'll go with that because I'd probably make a mess of the velcro or glue.

I'm having enough trouble with the frame. The wood was delivered today and none of it is precisely the length I asked for so it’s not going together too well. I think I'll order longer wood than I need and cut it precisely myself.

12. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    I used some 2.7m lengths of 18mm x 69mm wood from B&Q and cut it into two lengths 84ins long for the top and bottom, then cut three lengths for the sides and centre brace.

I put two pieces on top when I cut them so they would be identical in length, and did the same for the three shorter pieces. I then drilled holes which I deep countersunk for 3" screws, and used wood glue before screwing it all together.

There's a bit of a technique for stretching the material, but it was easier with my gf helping to pull it one way, while I pulled it over the fram and stapled it. Here's a method that many use:

http://www.rexart.com/stretching.html

HTH

Gary.

13. mjones0

mjones0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I got some more wood and it’s about as straight as Michael Barrymore. I think I’ll give up on the wood frame idea.

I think MDF is generally completely flat and there wouldn’t be any trouble with angles being out. Is there any reason why I shouldn’t just buy a big piece of MDF and staple the screen material to that?

14. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    MDF is great if you can get it home. It's just a real pig to get home unless your prepared to pay the delivery charges.

15. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    MDF is also suprisingly heavy - if you use a thin sheet - 6mm - you'll get warping problems unless you brace it with framing, if you use 12 - 15mm thick it will be quite heavy so you'll have to think about how you're going to mount it an the wall. Even at that thickness there will be a certain amount of flex in the sheet.

I use 2x1 framing braced and covered with blackout material and it's fine - also much easier to to cope with as oppose to a sheet of mdf of the same size. YMMV.

Sean G.

16. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Gary,

I've added the stretching technique link to the FAQ.

Sean G.

17. bunkerbuster2

bunkerbuster2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I found one of the best things for a temp screen was a sheet of plasterboard
    it's reasonably light and perfectly flat
    it also accepts paint very well (as you'd expect)

18. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    You can always brace the wooden frame with some aluminium angle - it'll straighten it out without making it excessively heavy. It's what I'll do if mine should warp.

Gary.

19. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
  20. mjones0

mjones0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want along and looked at the MDF and it would have weight so much the wall probably would have collapsed, so I went back to the wood frame. After demonstrating extreme incompetence in the field of carpentry I phoned a friend who has lots of useful stuff like a mitre saw, engineers set square and most importantly some clue what he was doing.

He put it together in no time and it all seems nice and straight. Measuring corner to corner the two distances were about 1.5mm out so it’s fairly close to a perfect rectangle.

I’ve ordered the White Fabric gain 1.2 from elite which worked out to be just over £150, so it should just be a matter off attaching that and putting a black frame on the front.

I really wanted a fixed screen rather than a pull down one so I’m glad it’s worked out.

Thanks for the help and advice.

21. mjones0

mjones0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I finally got it all together apart from the outside border:

[​IMG]
    (low quality picture with a web cam)

I had the material lying on a clean bed sheet when I attached it but when I inspected the screen it had a few marks on that must have already been there. All apart from one just look like a bit of dirt that’ll wipe off, but I didn’t want to do any damage. Is it alright to wipe the material with a wet sponge?

The one that I’m more worried about is this green mark that may not come off so easily. Would it be alright to use a light cleaning product on it?

Sorry, I’ve been a real pain with all my questions when making this screen. I’m nearly there :)

22. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Phone ellie and see what they recommend for cleaning.

I think some warm soapy water should be OK, but it's best to ask the experts first. :)

The screen looks good by the way..

Gary.