Cheap HDMI/HDCP 2.2 splitter/stripper that works?

Tricky-Ricky

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Does this exist? been hunting for a two way splitter/stripper that can deal with 3840x2160@60Hz
at 18gbs but can also interface between HDCP 2.2 and 1.4 allong with HDMI 1.4 and 2.1...
probably a big ask.
I have read a couple of threads here that dont seem to be very conclusive, and the solutions so far seem to be very expensive, so i am looking for a cheap alternative, i basically want to split/strip the
UHD and hopefully HDR signal (in the future) from the Sky Q box to run to my 2018 Samsung Q9 TV and an older top spec Onkyo receiver to get true multi channel audio (although the box can output atmos/DD+/True HD the TV cant pass it) so i want to get the audio to the receiver which also cant process atmos as such but can see and process true multi channel audio, so any suggestions that are not going to be price prohibitive (this is an experiment) would be welcome.

You may require more than HDCP 'management' for your Legacy AVR.

HDMI puts the Audio within the Video stream and the AVR must be able to lock to the Incoming Video stream before it can start to decode the audio.

Unless your AVR supports UHD with HDR you will require a device which can replace the UHD with HDR Video with a dummy 1080p or 720p Video signal - which you AVR can understand and then find and decode the HD Audio.

HDfury AVR Key – The Media Factory

Joe

The receiver sees the signal via ARC, and can also see audio from a UHD bluray player, it also seems to be able to report the video content from the player as well, so I'm hoping its can receive the signal from a suable splitter, as i understood it HDMI 2.2/2.1 is also backward compatible with earlier versions IE 1.4 so given its the HDCP that's not easily backward compatible the stripper should be able to deal with that?

Completely stripping HDCP is illegal under the DMCA or its equivalent.

Any splitters out there that do strip it and advertise that fact wouldnt be around for long.
“ allegedly” there are some out there , but there is no way to know for sure other than second source or user reviews.
No manufacturer can claim such a feature without risking prosecution.

The legal alternative are the HDfury,s , which convert HDCP 2.x to HDCP 1.x and recently went through courts to assert its legality.
These are not cheap.

HDfury did have a number of devices that stripped HDCP on the market prior to this case.
They were all removed from sale by order as part of this case.
Only HDCP converters remain.

4K Content Protection "Stripper" Beats Warner Bros in Court - TorrentFreak

Last edited:
Regardless of this they do exist, and what i am proposing is not piracy just a something that anyone should be able to accomplish its just a functionality work around, while i understand the need for piracy protection why should the end user be prevented from achieving this sort functionality, a lot of UHD/bluray players have a dedicated audio out so cannot be classed as piracy.

ARC - not relevant to what you are trying to achieve as that 'system' allows for the AVR not being HDCP 2.2 compliant as all you are sending is Audio back from the TV, what audio you receive is dependent on the capabilities of the TV.

HDCP - as Andy says if 'all' you required was HDCP conversion (or Stripping) there are options, that will not work for you as unless the AVR can support a 2160p signal at 60/50Hz and 24p you will still be stuck no matter if the HDCP is 2.2, 1.4 or stripped out.

AVR - what do you have?

Joe

PS 'and what i am proposing is not piracy' - that maybe so but the Copyright folk will still put up a fight over it!

Hi

Searching Amazon for "HDMI splitter" may find you something, typically these work by supporting HDCP on the input, but don't require a HDCP handshake on the output. Often the reviews or questions will have people confirming if it works this way or not.

HDCP is a real pain, the number of issues we have on our simple system where sometimes things just don't sync up because they fail to handshake drives us mad. Its a common problem, yet anyone serious about copying can easily buy a cheap device that circumvents it. As always the law abiding consumer gets all the hassle from the film studios and those intent on breaking copyright laws still can and very easily.

HDCP achieves zero copyright protection, but maximum problems for consumers.

Regards

Phil

Regardless of this they do exist, and what i am proposing is not piracy just a something that anyone should be able to accomplish its just a functionality work around, while i understand the need for piracy protection why should the end user be prevented from achieving this sort functionality, a lot of UHD/bluray players have a dedicated audio out so cannot be classed as piracy.

Main point of my post is yes they do exist but they dont advertise the fact.
You,ll just have to try lots of them and see.
Even ones where its suggested by users that HDCP is stripped may have been “ fixed” by the time you order one.
Note that splitters are relatively simple devices in the HDMI world, they just mirror outputs.
Most of them output exactly what goes in and for the vast majority that you try this will be exactly what happens.

Some extra effort has to go in to strip out HDCP so the most likely candidates are units with “ EDID” management.
“ EDID management” often being the “ wink” term for something more being on offer.
Keep in mind though , that EDID management may be just that.

Thanks guys will keep hunting, Phil i quite agree with you on that point,
Andy thanks for the insight will bare your comments in mind.

Has anyone found an HDMI splitter that really DOES strip HDCP? I have been spending so much time researching this. I seem to find ones that people have said worked while others have said it didn't. Also looks like years ago many splitters DID work. Hey Trick-Ricky, have you had any liuck?

Thing is, as soon as it becomes common knowledge that a particular device does this HDMI.org /DCP will be all over them like a rash to get the products fixed. So while asking here might seem like a shortcut, it is a winner way to get a working (or not, depending on how you look at it!) product knobbled by the bit police.

Agreed HDMI.org/DCP are working harder to close down any non compliant devices.

What worked for HD/HDCP1.4 is unlikely to work for UHD/HDCP2.2.

Joe

It’s an old design and is HDCP1.4 compliant.

What are you trying to achieve with the Splitter?

Joe

Ich möchte Filme von meinem Sky Q Reciver auf meine Dreambox aufnehmen. Tut mir leid, dass mein Englisch nicht so gut ist

Last edited:
I want to record movies from my Sky Q Reciver on my Dreambox. Sorry my English isn't that good

No - it is an old design better suited to HD (1080p) systems.

Which DreamBox do you have?

Joe

I have the Dreambox UHD900

what splinter can I take to make it work

Last edited:
My Dreambox can only record 1080 p max from the HDMI Input, and than is than is this Splitter not right??

Do you have a 4K UHD capable TV/Projector and do you want to send 4K UHD/HDCP2.2 plus record to 1080p/HDCP1.4 simultaneously?

Joe

Yes I have, but the Dreambox can only max in1080p recording at the HDMI in Input!!! Not in 2160p

Your choice then is:

1. A Distribution Amp which ‘mirrors’ the Input to both Outputs and forces the Source into 1080p/HDCP1.4 mode when you wish to record the video (HDFury Integral).

or

2. A Distribution Amp which allows you to Input 2160p/HDCP 2.2 and pass that unaltered to the 4K UHD TV and simultaneously Output 1080p to the recording device* (HDFury Integral2, Vertex or Vertex2).

Joe

*NOTE The Source will be limited to SDR and whatever audio the recorder supports when you wish to make a recording.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom