1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap HDMI DVD or expensive one?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by AndyR, Jan 8, 2005.

1. AndyR

AndyR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, first post on this thread. I'm about to buy a Sim2 30H, which of course comes with HDMI. I was thinking of getting a reasonably expensive DVD player, but was wondering with HDMI connection if it is worth it? My reasoning is that with HDMI, the DVD disc is just read, and output on the cable. All the expense of a DVD player must be in the digital to analogue circuits? So if I bought a cheap Samsung DVD player (there is a new one, but cant remember model number) for £180 that has the same Faroujda scaler as the projector, I would imagine I'd get just as good a result as a £1000 DVD player? You can set the Samsung to output 720p from the HDMI output, using its built in Faroudja scaler.

Anyone tried it, or any thoughts on my reasoning?
    Thanks!

2. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    AndyR

You have a PM

Jeff :rtfm:

3. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    If only it was that simple. But its not. If the mpeg decoder is naff then that will be displayed onscreen, or the well known Macroblocking effect the faroudja chip provides from dvd players. etc etc