Question Cheap HD Camcorder Advice

Mario96

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here to the forums. Hoping some of you can help.

I'm going to the Nurburgring soon and looking for a decent budget camcorder to film the trip. Ideally looking to spend as little as possible to be honest.

So far I've narrowed it down to the Canon HF-R606 (£130), Panasonic HC-V250 (£150) or the Canon HF-R66 (£170).

Which of these would be best for filming cars and motorbikes in the pits / paddock as well as filming the road trip and maybe cars on track while I'm at the side of the track.

Just to add, videos will be used for YouTube, looking for clear crisp images. Not too bothered about built in storage as I can just by a large SD card.

Image quality in bright light, low light, quick panning shots and slow panning shots are more important.

Thanks

Some of the things you've described as important don't usually come with 'cheap' unfortunately. The models you've mentioned all have tiny sensors, so won't perform well in low light. In addition, in common with most (all?) current consumer camcorders, these sensors will be CMOS and thus use rolling shutters. This is not good for fast pans (all the verticals will end up slanting). In addition, if you intend to use the camera to film from within a moving vehicle then this same rolling shutter may give you unacceptable 'jello' wobble. This problem should not be too bad with most modern camcorders, although the only way to cure it completely would be to use a camcorder with a CCD sensor. And that will mean buying secondhand.

These things may not be much of a problem to you, as long as you know what to expect in advance - nothing worse than finding certain features that really annoy you, after you buy!

Remember -
Small sensor (both CCD and CMOS) - not good in low light

CMOS sensor = rolling shutter = 'skew' - slanting verticals on fast pans or distorted rotary motion, and 'wobble' effect in high vibration shooting).

CCD sensor = global shutter = none of these problems, so generally better for shooting sports events with lots of movement/vibration

To give an idea of what I'm trying to describe, see here (although most modern camcorders should be a bit better than the HV20)

and here:

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, but it won't be used inside the car, we'll be using GoPro's for that.

This is mainly to film in the paddock while on foot and filming from the side of the track (again, on foot).

Fast pans would be following a car on track while watching from the side, and slow pans would be filming close ups of cars (artistic shots), slowly panning over the body work.

I appreciate these are budget camcorders and will have flaws, but which one would be most suited for my needs?

Also, all footage is likely to be filmed during daylight.

I guess any of the models will be much the same . . . without Try before Buy in the situation you describe it's anyone's guess.
See if the dealer will throw in a spare battery and an in-car charger.
Filming "well" is a matter of practice and learning from mistakes - remember that what you view on the LCD screen will be much worse ( or better?) when it's on a large Telly . . . or projected. Except when you are panning "with" a car ( from the roadside), it is very difficult to make the pan smooth. With a speeding car, try to put more room in front than behind - this make it look as though it's moving correctly.

In the pits you may find you'll get in the way - so take a mate that can watch out for you . . . . danger is but a few milliseconds away.

Filming in-car with a GoPro can be troublesome as the windscreen will add reflections of what's happening inside. I never really solved this when I borrowed one..... but it's worth getting the larger-diameter suction attachment - this has far better "grip". Use tissues to remove any grease prior to attachment, as you prob. know.

Get to know the camera Operation, well before you go.
++Always take more Memory and Batteries. A modest tripod will give you some steady shots, e.g of the entrance-gates, so as to establish "Where"
Use the camcorder to take some Stills, these can be used later in the Edit...better still a Stills-camera which will allow you to use the self-timer to get in the frame.

Good Luck.

Thanks Harry. Turns out I actually managed to pick up a mint Panasonic HC-V750 for just a little more than originally planned. So hopefully it will be better than the ones I was looking at.

When I said pits, I meant paddock. Wouldn't go into pits to record, to easy to walk in front of a car without realising and boom, next thing I know I'm being run over. Also, do they even let you into the pits on tourist days at the Nürburgring? No idea.

For filming in car I've got the large official GoPro branded suction mount which sticks really well, will just have to work around any reflections that appear I suppose.

As for the stills, I'm also taking my DSLR, so should get some good pictures with that also.

Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom