Cheap HD Box suggestions please

foghorn

Hey Folks,

I am looking to pick up a cheap HD box to use with my 1m Channel Master dish (36v Diseqc positioner) that has been getting neglected over the last couple of years.

Have Sky in the house using a separate dish, and like the idea of having the flexibility to utilise the sky subscription with the new HD box (card or other means).

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks Foghorn

kevkbuk

Distinguished Member
You need to define what you consider cheap really... An open linux box will work with the sub card no issues and has ethernet connection too so start looking at DM800/SE clones. If you want cheaper look at Openbox but I'm not sure how well they work with Sky cards.

foghorn

Thanks for the reply

I guess the reason I said cheap is that I have lost my way with Motorised Sat over the last few years, my first set up was mainly used for feed hunting for sports I then progressed into the programmable cards for a while.

I have no knowledge in using the Linux system (could be a steep learning curve) although from what I have read it does look flexible and fun, so I suppose I did not want to spend too much when dipping my toe back into the hobby again.

The clone thing concerned me a bit and that's what put me off spending too much in case I end up with a brick being a novice with Linux.

Lets say sub £200 however I noticed the Openbox can be bought for £75.

Thanks Foghorn

logiciel

the flexibility to utilise the sky subscription with the new HD box (card or other means)
Much the most flexible way of using a Sky subscription with its card is with a Sky machine, and there is no way of using a Sky subscription without a card.

kevkbuk

Distinguished Member
I have no knowledge in using the Linux system (could be a steep learning curve) although from what I have read it does look flexible and fun, so I suppose I did not want to spend too much when dipping my toe back into the hobby again.

Lets say sub £200 however I noticed the Openbox can be bought for £75.

Thanks Foghorn

You'll find forums with dedicated Dreambox forums for finding good clones. The HD models start at around £140, one option is to buy a 500SD for approx £40 to learn on. There will always be a market for these second hand, or you can keep it and use it with a HD DM for 'multiroom'.

Don't let the learning curve put you off, they are not that difficult and they are one of the most supported and documented receivers. Once you load a firmware onto them most of the setup is done via the remote, you'll only need to edit a file or two via FTP should you be using some of the ethernet functionality. There is no need for command line hacking for most things people do with these, though the option is there is you wish to use it. As you've had programmable cards in the past you should be more than capable.

pedro2000uk

Distinguished Member
Our most popular HD box for motorised installs is the TM5402HD atm- TMs are very good for motorised control - especially for the disecq 1.2 you'll need to use to inteface to 36v via a V box... they are one of the most sensitive receivers- very good blind scan - quick & slick to use & to edit sats & channels - quite a lot of other features .. & it's got ethernet & can run cccam / newcamD - [whatever they are]..

You can put the 1m CM on a Darkmotor Superior now & use USALS though very quiet & reliable & USALS is nicer to use but on the TM5402HD you can mix USALS & Disecq 1.2 .. - 36v is more for 1.2s/ 1.8s & above now really ...

foghorn

I bought a Alsat GBOX Disecq 1.2 a couple of years ago but have hardly used it.

I will have a closer look at the TM5402HD(good price) and the Xtrend ET50 never heard of it up to now.

I would assume a Dreambox HD for £140 would be a clone.

Any other suggestions gratefully received.

Foghorn

pedro2000uk

Distinguished Member
We've done a few Xtrends- all good feedback ... Blades - same again - good feedback- DM800 clones with the Alps tuners, [providing it's a decent built clone] - same again [not done the latest 800s].. The Spiderbox has been a popular option - very decent box even without the free thingy ... & even the Foxsats will drive a motor & they have a very sensitive tuner too which puts it up there & it does it all [for fta] but the software is not as slick in non Freesat mode.

pedro2000uk

Distinguished Member
This has issues with some features the OP may wish to use... research carefully if considering this one.

what issues... that he may wish to use ..

actually, using a Sky card in another box is another matter -or you can just loop through to a sky box when parked on 28e.. handy if it is raining so hard that it effects the sky reception on a sky dish & the 1m CM still gets it OK.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom