1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap, good s/h 2-channel pre-amps - recommendations to pair with RMB985

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by theo cupier, Jan 27, 2005.

1. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    My Musical Fidelity B1 integrated amp needs to be replaced for various reasons, including its lack of pre-outs. (I've just obtained a Rotel RMB 985 MkII power amp :D )

My DSP-E800 will send its centre & rear signals direct to the 985 from its pre-outs and the front l/r will route via a pre-amp, which will also look after my turntable, CD and tape. Most of my music is on CD (quite a diverse collection, Metallica to Messiaen, via Dido).

Someone has offered me a Rotel RC850 pre-amp for a very reasonable sum. But I was wondering if I could do any better than this on a budget of no more than about £100.

I'm not fixated on Rotel kit if another brand would work well with the rest of the setup. Do you think it is best to pair Rotel power amps with Rotel pre amps, or can I mix & match effectively?

The key requirements are that it needs a phono stage for the Debut II turntable and to keep to this tight budget.

Throwing this open to you guys to make suggestions...

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    The RC850 is a good little pre amp. I owned one but couldnt have that many amps hanging arround (WAF) so somethings had to go. I wouldnt pay more than £50 for it though as that seems the going rate.

Your lucky with the 985 as I would have had it had I got the cash to spare :devil:

3. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    DFour - thanks for that.

Before I bite the hand off the person selling the RC850, is there anything else likely to be found out there worth the listen at this sort of price - Rotel or otherwise?

(Okay, let's say £100 isn't an absolute maximum if there's things a little higher which must not be missed).

Is it worth considering using an integrated amp with pre-outs? I know I'm paying for power amplification which I won't be using - since I can't bi-amp my fronts. A couple of RA-01 & RA-02 have gone through Fleabay recently at this sort of price point.

Thanks again

4. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    IMHO with that amp you would be better off getting a pre amp and ignoring intergrateds. I dont know what else is going arround that price point in the pre amp side im afraid. Arcams always a good bet :D
    You could alsways rip the friends arm off for the rc850 and if its under £50ish then sell it on fleabay and make a profit :devil:

What you idealy want is another rb985 and a 2nd hand Tag avr32 processor and a huge :D

5. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    True, true, if only my pockets were deep enough!

Do Arcam pre-amps mix well with Rotel power amps, as a rule? Or is 'as a rule' one of those questions which boils down to 'audition it and see for yourself'?

I guess what I mean is that since there's likely to be some dross around at this end of the s/h market are there any pre-amps definitely worth avoiding if your starting point is the RMB985?

6. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Anyone know much about the Audiolab 8000C?

I've seen a few threads on this forum about them, mostly in (slightly unfavourable) comparison to some of the big hitters like Parasound and Meridian and Tag (who now own audiolab, I think).

Would these be a worthwhile addition - I've not heard much about them?

7. booktrunk

booktrunk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    There is a rotel 971 pre-amp on ebay.co.uk at the moment. RC9-71. It's got 2 days to go and is £10.

That would be ideal and it probably will maybe stay dirt cheap even if it goes upto 60 - 70 you can't really argue with it for the money.

Steff

8. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Steff

thanks - I was looking at that one, but it doesn't have a phono stage. I know I can get one for another £40 new but I'd rather get it included in the pre. Wife has suggested to me that there may be such a thing as too many boxes!

Also, I've read a few reviews of the 971 which suggest it's a bit of a weak link in the Rotel range:
    http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/archive/perl/499_printreview.htm

Among the 'better' brand names, there seem to be a couple of Audiolab 8000Cs about, a few old Rotels (like the 850 & 931/971), a Cyrus 2 the odd NAD 1130 (about which I know nothing) and Arcam Alpha 7.

Is there anything else I should be considering, or any of the above that really should be avoided?

Other than Rotels, does anything go particularly well with a Rotel power amp?

My problem is that in ordinary circumstances, I'd be down my local Sevenoaks demoing and seeing what fits in, but at this sort of budget it's not likely to be afforded to me, so any help uncovering the forgotten gems of 2-channel preamplification would be most welcome!