1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap (good) HTPC - What can be done.

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Tempest, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,321
    I am thinking about having a dedicated PC for HTPC use.
    Requirements are cheap as poss to play a DVD via a Radion Card with Digital output from a Sound card and very quiet.

I know Uvem make great kit, but (from my limited viewing) I feel these are built up to a very high level of quality that (Truth be know) is WAY WAY above what is needed to play a DVD on.

Seeing PC's even new ones in the high street being sold for just a few £100 these days with 1Ghz+ CPU's and DVD drives I can't see how a HTPC can't be done for very little money

No need for a large HDD, No need for anything flash at all really.
    Just a quiet case a 1Ghz ish CPU a Low End Radeon and a OEM SB Live, DVD ROM and I'd guess you'd have it.

What would that be.. ? £300 ish ?

2. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    If you really wanted to push the boat out, i reckon £200 would get you a half decent system. Find an old nforce 1 board with geforce2mx built in, athlon 1800xp+, 256mb ram, 5gb hard drive. Would be pretty upgradeable up to about 2600+, 1GB ram, some pretty big hard drives, any AGP graphics card, etc.. when you get the money. My HTPC cost just over £400, excluding the DVD burner, and that was 6 months ago! Athlon 2200, 512mb ram, 40Gb hard drive, plus all the bits in my sig. Won't be upgrading it for a long time :D

3. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,321
    Thank's for the reply.
    I guess about £300 - £400 all in would seem a realistic price for a machine JUST to play DVD's.

I'm supprised no-one here sells (or know who sells) HTPC's that are built just to do the job at a good quality.

No Frills machines, just good quality without going overboard.
    Although I have built many a PC before, it would be nice to get a ready made one from someone who knew what worked best together.

Cheers for the advice.

4. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    The killer with HTPC is software to be honest, not hardware, a copy of windows with a decent dvd software will add at least £100 to the cost when buying pre-built. My £400 machine also does a LOT more than play just DVDs, i don't know why you think you'd need to up a lot in £200 DVD machine i suggested? Unless of course you're budgeting for software too. Obviously, the basic DVD HTPC will also do most normal PC functions too.

5. whuuf

whuuf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you shop around you can get some good software inluded with your purchases, something like the highly rated M-Audio - Revolution 7.1 sound card comes with WinDVD 4 Dolby Digital EX version, Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3, MixMan Studio, and Vjay Lite.

6. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    pay for software? now theres a concept :)