Cheap fridge for use in the garage.

The Grandfather

Cheap fridge for use in the garage

I keep a small under counter larder fridge in my integral garage. Being close to the utility room its a Godsend for all sorts of uses- beer and wine in the summer and excess food etc at Christmas. However the present Beko has only lasted four years and its Indesit predecessor only lasted two years. I need a recommendation for something that will last a bit longer.
I know that fridge/freezers, which only have one compressor, are a no no for garage use but surely a single fridge will be fine. If it is very cold then it will just have a holiday!!
Does anyone have a recommendation based on personal experience?

Thanks.
Nick

Cliff

Distinguished Member
Cheap fridge for use in the garage

I keep a small under counter larder fridge in my integral garage. Being close to the utility room its a Godsend for all sorts of uses- beer and wine in the summer and excess food etc at Christmas. However the present Beko has only lasted four years and its Indesit predecessor only lasted two years. I need a recommendation for something that will last a bit longer.
I know that fridge/freezers, which only have one compressor, are a no no for garage use but surely a single fridge will be fine. If it is very cold then it will just have a holiday!!
Does anyone have a recommendation based on personal experience?

Thanks.
Nick
I think it’s a case of looking at the technical specs to see the minimum operating temperature. The greener refrigerant gases tend to like warmer ambient temperatures.

I have an old freezer in the garage which must be 30 years old, still works well, but it uses freon gas. (R22 or R12 can’t remember!)

The Grandfather

Cliff, Thank you for the reply and reminding me about Freon gas.
I reckon that you are probably correct about modern ‘greener’ refrigerants needing a warmer environment.
I’m hopeful that someone will pop up with a definite recommendation for a fridge however in the meantime I’ll continue my search and include the refrigerant used.

Nick

Squirty

The only people I know that make fridges which will work in the garage is Beko. But that's mainly aimed at fridge freezers (which is an important difference).

But another way to think of things is that even if the temperature drops in the garage to lets say 5 degrees or lower, then the stuff in the fridge is still going to stay cold due to the ambient temperature. Things are definitely not going to start warming up!

job

Standard Member
I bought the cheapest A rated frost free from Currys (I'm to lazy to check the brand) and it's been sat in my workshop 3 years.
Never even thought about low temps but it's still working and keeping my beers chilled.

152bobby

If you are in the UK, have a look on Gumtree. I got a Miele under counter fridge for garage for £10 to hold essential beer supplies when working in garage or garden. Saves me a walk into the house !!!

It scrubbed up well. However, to be honest, if I needed one for the house for food etc, I'd not buy a second hand one...just doesn't feel right !!

The Grandfather

Thanks for all the replies. I tried to check on the refrigerant used in those I looked at but its not possible. Too anorak I suppose!! Beko only do Fridge/freezers for the garage not, sadly, stand alone fridges. Damn.
This is the only one that specifically says suitable for garage use and its out of stock everywhere.

152bobby
I did try Gumtree and secondhand is good for beer etc. Luckily?? its still cold everywhere so the beer and wine is drinkable .

Thanks

Nick

DigitalDigger

Try freecycle.
I got a fridge off there for free for a fermentation chamber for brewing. Was also given an American style samsung that lasted years. A friend was getting rid and it was a beer fridge. Only got rid due to relocation

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom