1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap freeview box

Discussion in 'Shopping, Deals, Discounts & Bargains' started by supersonic87, Mar 15, 2004.

1. supersonic87

supersonic87
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just to let Makro customers know, that starting wednesday, they will be selling the Netgem freeview box and keyboard for just £49.99!!!:eek:

Rich

2. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I recently read that there were some problems with some of the cheaper boxes, as the number of freeview channels have been increased and some of the cheaper boxes have not got the memory to store them, and so drop some channels.

I don't know if this is one of them though, but its worth checking

3. ajp558

ajp558

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    No, the Netgem box is not one of the boxes with a problem caused by a limit on the number of channels it can store. It might only be £49.99+VAT but its certainly no cheap freeview box. I bought one for £130 last year & have just bought the BT version as that is currently also on sale. The BT version has CLI to display details of incoming telephone calls in a little box on the TV screen, so works well in our lounge.

4. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The Netgem IPlayer is one of the better boxes - it is made for projector owners!

5. zanc

zanc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've just bought the BT version, and the EPG s is fast. However, there appear to be a few problems.

* Looking through the setup screens its says I can set the box to Component out, I am not sure where the component signals come out of the box. They don't hi-jack the SCART because the colours stays the same when in component mode, and I don't know where else to find video outputs.

* Widescreen switching on Pin 8 does not seem to exist, or its just incompatible with all the other digiboxes that I've tried.

* I rang up BT support, and they told me the Wireless adapters do not work, so its just as well I held back before ordering.

If anyone has any other experiences please let me know. What worries me now is that the BT software version will fall out of step with the actual Netgem box. The makro version would appear to be a better bet.

Rob

6. Doublespresso

Doublespresso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmmm... I've ordered teh BT version without really knowing much..

can someone explain the difference between teh BT version and the original Netgem?

Does teh Netgem version have Caller ID dispalyed on the screen?

Any info appreciated as I may have to send it back!

7. BKATZ

BKATZ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Have a look at the forum on www.netgem.com

Most of your answers will be there!

B.

8. ajp558

ajp558

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    "I rang up BT support, and they told me the Wireless adapters do not work, so its just as well I held back before ordering."

Well I'm glad BT haven't told my BT i-player box that as its working perfectly with a Belkin F5D6050 wireless usb adapter connecting to my home LAN to share broadband, streaming audio, mp3s etc, etc!

I have a Netgem & a BT version & both are running beta release software 4.4.2. Netgem have done a great job in keeping them both in step in terms of core software functionality.

The BT box is used in the lounge where we like the CLI display when the phone rings - save the Mrs asking me to get up & walk over to our cordless phone to check!

The Netgem box is upstairs.

Both are connected to LAN via wireless usb to Linksys WAG54G router.

Personally I don't think you can go far wrong with either at current bargain prices & with latest beta s/w.

The jury is still out on access to TUTV (as with most if not all current freeview boxes) until the access technology is confirmed, cards & CAMs available, etc.

In the meantime my preference is that the BT's CLI is more use to me than a potentially expensive CAM upgrade to the Netgem to get it working with TUTV. Ultimately both Netgem & BT boxes could work with TUTV but no-one knows for sure.

AJP

9. Doublespresso

Doublespresso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks AJP for clarifying that... nothing betterthan first hand experience.
    ...am expecting delivery of my BT box anyday now so hopfully it will stay in place and not returned as I intially feard.

10. zanc

zanc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Silly me. I went out and bought a Belkin Wireless USB adapter, because it was one of the adapters the BT freeview box recommended, and previous posts suggested that the wireless option worked. I then updated the software for the netgen (BT version) and suprise the Belkin is no longer a recommended device and is not recognised by the box.

Does anyone know if there is to be a software upgrade to reintroduce compatability.

11. Wingnut

Wingnut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bought one from Makro today to replace my Nokia Mediamaster (which strangely lost channel 5 after Top-Up TV started testing). It's a great box, much better than the Nokia in almost all areas - and I got channel 5 back.

Incedentally, there was about 50 left in the Eccles (Manchester) store today (Tuesday 23rd) , so you still have time to pick up a bargain.

Wingnut

12. Doublespresso

Doublespresso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got my BT box, very please with it, seems excellent value and the Caller ID is a nice (and useful) touch.

I would like to hook it up to my WiFi Lan (through a Belkin 54g Router) can anyone suggest a suitable USB adapter and what can I expect to pay for it?
    It seems tha the Belkin USB adapter is no longer supported with the latest software update.

13. ajp558

ajp558

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Belkin F5D6050 usb wi-fi adapter works with both Netgem & BT i-players with 4.4.2 software. The best place I could find for one was Ebuyer, but I ordered a pair from Easyetrader for about the same as Ebuyer sell their twin pack.

NB The version of 4.4.2 for the BT was temporarily "pulled" but will be available soon. If you already have the update then your box should wokr well with the Belkin. Sadly none of the "newer" usb wi-fi adapters are supported by either netgem or BT boxes.

AJP558

14. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Just wanted to add that I picked up one of these from my nearest Makro store for the price mentioned at the top of the thread (bear in mind this is an ex VAT price), but even so, what a saving!

I have to say I'm very impressed with the box and can't wait until I get hold of a suitable Ethernet adaptor and get it hooked up to our Broadband connection.

The update via dial-up for the firmware went without a hitch and it is now running 4.4.2.

Now all I have to do is sell our Sky digibox before the missus gets back from her business trip. :smashin:

15. Drew C

Drew C
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry for not being up on these things, but what benefit do you get by connecting a freeview box to broadband?

16. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well, at the most basic level, you can send and receive proper email on your TV screen using the keyboard (POP3 and all that).

You can also stream/play other content from machines on your home network such as MP3 and DivX files.

In addition, I believe you can also update the firmware by downloading the latest version via broadband. If you have to do it via dial-up not only do you pay (for a local call), but it takes around 20mins. Broadband should be a good deal faster.

This box has some really nice touches, such as displaying the channel logos (making it really easy to identify a particular channel) and also allowing you to check the "Now & Next" information for a different channel to the one you're watching.

If you want the full lowdown, take a look at the Netgem forums which can be found here.

17. Doublespresso

Doublespresso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just checked my BT and after dowloading the software, it now runs on the 4.3.1 verson.... and the belkin USB wifi adapter is not listed as a compatible device.

I ordered the belkin adaptor from ebuyer 2 days ago! :(

18. Wingnut

Wingnut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ordinarily, there would be no benefit in connecting a freeview box to broadband. However, the Netgem iPlayer (or the BT varient) have a built-in web browser and email facility.

Wingnut

19. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Doh!

Quite right sir, I neglected to mention the built in web browser.

Out of interest, anybody know if it works with AV Forums?? :)

20. Dustybin

Dustybin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Sure does using my one now, works with pretty much every site I use :D

21. Dustybin

Dustybin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Sure does using my one now, works with pretty much every site I use :D

22. ajp558

ajp558

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I agree, the web browser is useful for picking up my email from Pipex & a quick check on forums such as this for bargains. I can do all that in the time it takes my PC just to boot up.

The Netgem just takes a second to start up & access the forums via broadband with wi-fi. A nice advantage over my 2 PCs.

AJP558.

23. Wingnut

Wingnut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just out of interest which USB Wi-Fi card are you using with the iPlayer?

Wingnut

24. ajp558

ajp558

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi Wingnut,
    I use the Belkin F5D6050 usb Wi-Fi adapter. I bought a 2-pack as I have 1 Netgem & 1 BT version box. Both boxes run 4.4.2 software.

The Belkin 2 pack is £37.85 plus VAT & delivery from Ebuyer:

http://***********/yu2ez

Ebuyer also sell the single adapter fro £20.99 plus VAT & del.

Sadly the Netgem only supports a limited range of older 802.11b adapters. Linux drivers are hard to come by for the newer ones.

AJP558

25. Latman

Latman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Is this the only one that can connect to the internet?

26. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Just got the BT version, thanks to those that highlighted the excellence of this device.

Does anyone use a router (without the built in modem) with this and xbox live?

Want one which uses cables rather than wireless as running cables is both not a problem and is cheaper.

Any suggestions before I buy one and find it works with the xbox and not the freeview box (and vice versa)

thanks
    Darren

27. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well, I'm using mine with a router via a cable, although I don't have an Xbox, instead I use my PS2 and it works just fine.

This box shouldn't cause you any issues with Xbox live, to the router it's just another network client asking for web pages etc. The router is smart enough to know what traffic should go where.

I have a separate modem that connects to the router via a cable, is this the same as your setup?

28. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Yes my current ADSL modem is directly connected to my PC. I wish to buy a router for all 3, PC, xbox and freeview box.
    I am currently working away and did not have much time to play with the freeview box before I went although I did briefly look at the list of compatable routers and remember thinking that it was not very comprehensive and that I would have to cross reference it to the Xbox compatable routers and see if there are any matches.

Was just hoping to see if anyone had a similar setup so I could order it before I got back home

thanks
    Darren

29. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    How does your ADSL modem connect to your PC? USB or Ethernet?

To be honest, the only equipment that is restricted when it comes to connecting up the Netgem, is stuff that connects via USB.

The model of router you have won't make a difference as you cannot directly connect this to the Netgem anyway, First you have to attach an adaptor via USB which will either give you an Ethernet socket (to which you attach a standard network cable), or a wireless network adaptor which connects to your existing wireless network.

In your case you want to hook it up with a cable, so you would just run a cable from your router to the USB->Ethernet adaptor that plugs into the Netgem. It won't care what router you have.

Exactly what equipment are you using at present (brands and models)?

30. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Being away I am not sure what the model number of the modem is but I know it is a Dynamode. It is an ethernet type connection, not USB. . This connects into a network card on the PC. It only has a single output so I was looking to get a router with 4 outputs.

I thought my netgem (BT version) had a connection on the back of the unit for an ethernet cable?
    As I say I did not get much chance to play but I thought I saw one. I was not aware I needed a USB adaptor for it. The USB connection point as I recall is on the side of the unit.

thanks
    Darren