• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Cheap Fixed Frame Screen

dfowles

Established Member
Ive just ordered my first projector (Optoma HD67) and now considering whether I should get a screen or project directly onto the wall?

I have seen these screens PANOVIEW 92" GREY WOLF PROJECTOR SCREEN - UNOPENED on eBay (end time 25-Nov-10 15:30:59 GMT) and wondered if this would give me a better picture that just a wall or would the "sparkle" problem that these screens can have make it not worth it?

The room where the projector is going to be is a converted garage that has pretty much no light when the door is closed. The walls are currently all painted a light beige colour. The projector is going to be mounted on the ceiling roughly 10 feet from the screen.

Thanks for any advise you can offer.

hoppaz

Prominent Member
Ive just ordered my first projector (Optoma HD67) and now considering whether I should get a screen or project directly onto the wall?

I have seen these screens PANOVIEW 92" GREY WOLF PROJECTOR SCREEN - UNOPENED on eBay (end time 25-Nov-10 15:30:59 GMT) and wondered if this would give me a better picture that just a wall or would the "sparkle" problem that these screens can have make it not worth it?

The room where the projector is going to be is a converted garage that has pretty much no light when the door is closed. The walls are currently all painted a light beige colour. The projector is going to be mounted on the ceiling roughly 10 feet from the screen.

Thanks for any advise you can offer.

I just bought one of these from ebay. They claim they are sold direct from optoma and are "high quality". It does indeed help with contrast and colour without any noticable sparkle to my eyes but there was a fault with my screen which I am awaiting a response on.

It looks like they wrapped the screen fabric around the cardboard tube while the paint on the fabric was not fully dry and as a result down one edge there is a recurring mark which looks like the cardboard roll tube pattern.

They are selling these items as brand new but state no warranty is given (they only accept unopenned box returns) so I am hoping they exchange the fabric part for me as there was no way of telling it was faulty until I actually got the thing up and tested it with a projector.

The screen itself is a beast in size and I am using an Optoma HD20.

hoppaz

Prominent Member
Some photos. Although they show the fault you can see the difference against the screen and the door / door frame...

photo.jpg

photo2.jpg

Very rich and vivid colours.

dfowles

Established Member
Definately makes a big difference from the pictures you have posted. I see in your sig that you mention Gray Wolf II. Are these screens definately Gray Wolf II as it doesnt mention this on the ebay auction.

Also if its not to much bother could you let me know the width and height of this screen including the border.

Thanks

hoppaz

Prominent Member
Definately makes a big difference from the pictures you have posted. I see in your sig that you mention Gray Wolf II. Are these screens definately Gray Wolf II as it doesnt mention this on the ebay auction.

Also if its not to much bother could you let me know the width and height of this screen including the border.

Thanks

Hi,

Badge at bottom has "Greywolf II" on it on my screen. The dims from memory are about 220cm width by approx 130cm in height including border etc.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom