1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap fan speed controlers...

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Gary Lightfoot, Aug 25, 2003.

1. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    I bought a Fan Mate from quietpc.com and it works fine. It was only £8 +vat so seemed cheap enough, except it's one that sits inside the pc and can only be altered by taking the case off. I did think of modding it and adding a knob, but then found this:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=43374

I needed a new HS & fan for an old 1.2 gig Athlon that runs hot, but the price of this is less than the cost of a Fan Mate, and is adjustable via the pci slot.

I've ordered two, and will see how the other one fairs using just the fan speed controller on my other PC.

Could be a cheaper alternative, unless someone knows something more suitable?

Gary.

2. RobsterD

RobsterD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Gary,
    I know it's not the cheapest but I use the Zalman ZM-MFC1 fan controller,I was using the fan mate but changed to the external option,works great controls four like the fan mate and two at 5v or 12v depending on your circumstance,it was definetly the best option I found when trying to quieten my PC.I've also got some spare 3pin power connectors if you need them,I used these on the PSU fans.
    Rob

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Hi Rob,

those bay fan controlers look ideal, but unfortunately won't fit into my case because it has a flap that covers the drive bays - the knobs will interfere with the flap closing.

I saw a Rhoebus over at Kustompc for £12 which would have been perfect if it wasn't for the flap. :(

http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/product.php?view=2932

Ideal for my htpc....

Gary.

4. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    What case do you have, Gary? If you're handy with a Dremel you might be able to elongate the drive mounting holes and mount the unit slightly inset so the flap will close. I had to do exactly that for my ATC-600 so it would accomodate an Audigy drive. The results look pretty neat...

http://muthafunker.homestead.com/files/miscmessageboard/htpc.jpg

I also have a 4-way fanbus in my main PC and drilled a couple of extra holes in the drive rails so it could be mounted without preventing the door from closing (case is a Coolermaster ATC-710). There're such invaluable devices if you want a silent-running PC that making a few tradeoffs is worthwhile, IMO.

MuFu.

5. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    I have the ATC 620 case. I did consider doing that, but I'm fitting a floppy in the only 3.5 gap so would have to mod the spare 5.25 hole. I wasn't going to have a floppy, and use XP with bootable CDs, but I've currently got issues with Girder and XP so I'm back with ME, and floppys might be needed in the future.

It won't be too tricky to get to the back and adjust the fan speed, so I'll probably leave it at that for the moment.

Cheers.

Gary.

6. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I used one of those Coolermaster coolers on a PC I built for a friend - to be honest, they're really only quiet when on the lowest setting.

I went the bodgy route for my case fans - got a toggle switch, and ran 12v and 5v to it from an internal power connector, then the switched output to the case fans, so I can switch between 5 and 12V.
    I normally run them at 5v for silence, but can flip the switch to give them the full 12v if the PC is being run hard. Mounted the toggle switch on a drive bay cover plate, but it could have gone anywhere.

7. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    I only got them becaus the 1.2 Athlon I have in my desktop machine runs very hot. This fan will be more than enough to cool it, and I can remove the fan guard and slow it down to a point that the temp is one that I'm happy with.

I have a spare 80mm 29db fan that I could use if necessary. The second one is just for the speed controller - I want to have it rear mounted to replace the internal fan mate I'm using on the 60mm case fan in my htpc.

Great idea about the switch though - next step is to have it on a temperature switch so that it increases the fan speed for you when needed. :)

Gary.