1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap European DVD site?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by michaelab, Apr 9, 2003.

1. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    For some reason Play.com don't deliver to Portugal (or Belgium) even though they deliver to most other European countries. They couldn't give me a proper explanation but basically, "no can do". :mad:

First of all, if anyone knows, WHY?? Portugal and Belgium are both in the EU and there's nothing unique about them.

Secondly, anyone know of another DVD site that has prices as low as Play.com which:

a) Will deliver to Portugal (obviously!)
    b) Is based in the EU.

b) is very important because deliveries from outside the EU get hammered by the Portuguese customs - you can easily end up paying 100% of the purchase price in bull**** (edited for breaking rule 2 by mod) taxes and charges :mad:

Otherwise I'll just have to use Amazon.co.uk which have an excellent service but their prices aren't a lot lower than the high street :(

Michael.

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Play deliver from Jersey which isn't in the EU either (it's not part of the UK).

If Jersey deliveries are okay for you, then try www.splashdvd.com who also deliver from Jersey. They charge for non-UK deliveries though, but I think it's very cheap (around £1.50 or something like that).

Also, http://www.dvdzone2.com/dvd/ (only French, Belgium and Dutch R2s though)

www.cd-wow.com deliver from Hong Kong, but the price quoted includes any duties (and if you are charged by customs, they will refund you this amount). They have a specific EU site here: http://www.cd-wow.eu.com/ if you wish to order in Euros. Check their site terms & conditions for details: http://www5.cd-wow.eu.com/tac.php

3. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you want a cdwow site that displays prices in euros go to www.cdwow.ie
    they are priced in euro and are slightly cheaper than the link squirrel gave above. but the cheapest way is to go to their hk site and change the currency just brfore payment

4. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Ahhh - that explains it. That would cause the duty and tarrifs in Portugal to be so high that it wouldn't be worth it. Same goes for CDWOW (or any other site that doesn't deliver out of the EU).

Looks like I'll have to make do with http://www.dvdzone2.com/dvd/ and/or Amazon :(

Thanks for the suggestions.

Michael.

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, but re-read what I said about CD-WOW. The price you pay INCLUDES any duties and taxes, so if you get asked to pay by customs in Portugal, CD-WOW will refund your dosh. Many members on the site have already received refunds for customs charges they have been hit with - do a search of the forum.

6. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Yes, I read that but you don't know the Portuguese customs authorities :D :mad:

The duty and VAT you pay is the least of your worries - I haven't got the receipt infront of me but I recently ordered a $56 cable TV isolation transformer from Jensen Transformers in the US and I paid about 12 Euros in duty and VAT - no worries, I then had to pay roughly another 50 Euros in sundry trumped up charges like "customs agent fees", "stamp duty", "customs dispatch fee" etc. etc. :mad:

Basically, ever since Portugal joined the EU and as a result lost all that customs revenue they've been nailing every single package that comes from outside the EU and slapping as many bogus and inflated charges they can on it and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it.

I'll give CD-WOW a try for a couple of DVDs just to see what happens but I doubt it will be worth it :(

On a separate topic, the fact that Play.com are base in Jersey is presumably how they can get their prices so low?

Michael.

7. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    To re-enforce what I mean here's a reply I received from SplashDVD.com when I asked them why they (also) don't ship to Portugal:

really makes me mad :mad: - don't even ask me about the hoops (and significant costs) I've had to jump through to get back 5000 Euros of VAT the Portuguese tax department owes me (after recently closing down a consultancy firm I had there).

Michael.